Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwhitta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
IMG_8576.jpeg
I’m starting a new job and have these MBA/MBP options. I’m leaning toward the 14” MBP because it seems to be the newest option and seemingly has a better/brighter screen than the MBA. I don’t think I want the 16” because of its size and weight, although it probably has the best specs. I was given no specs for any options.

I’m just drafting documents, no intense work, and would like something rather mobile.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
, although it probably has the best specs. I was given no specs for any options.

I’m just drafting documents, no intense work, and would like something rather mobile.
Specs as in processing power mean nothing for drafting documents. If you’re using it outside, then perhaps more screen brightness would be helpful. The Air has a great screen, but I haven’t tried it outside. Sunlight outside can be deceptively bright and overpower screens.

I agree with Bigwaff‘s post that the 15” Air is your best bet because it’s so portable. I have the 13” and absolutely love it.

jb310

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2017
If you go for the latest one, it'll be longer before you need an upgrade.

...whether this is a good thing or not depends on your point of view. :p

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
View attachment 2369390 I’m starting a new job and have these MBA/MBP options. I’m leaning toward the 14” MBP because it seems to be the newest option and seemingly has a better/brighter screen than the MBA. I don’t think I want the 16” because of its size and weight, although it probably has the best specs. I was given no specs for any options.

I recommend the Macbook 14" M3 Pro.

richmlow

Andrey84

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Greater London, United Kingdom
Then you should go for MacBook Air M2. You do not need a MacBook Pro for this type of work. It will make absolutely no difference for you if it's the latest model or not, but you will feel the weight difference each time you carry it or pick it up. It takes courage not to take a more expensive machine, just because it's offered.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
I agree with a 13" or 15" (your preference) Macbook Air; M2 or M3, won't matter. Presumably you don't need to pinch pennies, so I'd ask for 16GB RAM, and as much storage as you think you need.

The MBP display is indeed a bit better and brighter, when you compare side by side. In my opinion it wasn't enough better to make up for the cost and weight difference. The MBA display is very nice. If you were doing a lot of photo/video work, my answer might be different.

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
I would jump for joy if my employer was willing to hand me a 16” MBP.

That said, if you are concerned about the weight, the 14” MBP seems like a great option. You might appreciate the nicer display, extra ports and such of the MBP with the pro chip.

Regardless, you can’t make a poor decision. All options are easily up to the task.

Reactions: bwhitta

bwhitta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Appreciate all of the insight. My 14" M3 Pro arrives today. I ultimately chose the MBP over MBA due to ports and brighter screen for potential outdoor use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.