Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I wanted to know how I can start a webssite for myself, preferably free. I just want to experiment w/ different stuff. I got my own blog, and that just limits me to bloggin'. Sooo.... any help would be nice thanks!

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
i learned from lissaexplains.com. it is meant for kids and has a ton of ads, but teaches you the basics really well. other than that, geocities. when you advance, get a real host and get macromedia studio.

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
SamIchi said:
I wanted to know how I can start a webssite for myself, preferably free. I just want to experiment w/ different stuff. I got my own blog, and that just limits me to bloggin'. Sooo.... any help would be nice thanks!

what you need is an idea of what you want to put in the website, seems stupid to say but i have been in that position in the past, i want a website but have no content for it... content is king.

hosting etc are just details, you may be able to get it for free but in my experience it is better to pay very little ($5 a month or so) and get a decent hosting.

If you have broadband (and idealyl a fixed ip) you can even host your own while you play around, and that gives you the change to learn apache etc.

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
I wanted to know how I can start a webssite for myself, preferably free.

If you are serious about creating a website my recommendation is to opt for paid hosting. You can get everything you need for a basic website for around $30 per year and you won't have to deal with the downtime and other issues most free hosts experience. There is a list of hosts that members of Mac Rumors like .

[URL=http://www.htmldog.com]htmldog.com
is a great site to find out more about coding your site. :)

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
Theres a good chance you get some free webspace with your ISP, so check that out.

Another good link for you is WebMonkey. I think thats another aimed at kids, but it taught me a lot.

paddymacdaddy

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2005
macwebsitebuilder

go to macwebsitebuilder.com

Absolutely everything is there, I use it and I love it not free but cheap and full of value

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
<spam width="bigtime" length="nomoreplease" alt="seriously">
paddymacdaddy said:
go to macwebsitebuilder.com

Absolutely everything is there, I use it and I love it not free but cheap and full of value
</spam>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.