Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
I'm a developer and a producer... sometimes I need to install applications and such to use for that purpose but I'm smart enough to know what not to download, check my sources, and when in doubt verify it is what it says it is.

This morning my terminal should me this (my username is thanos... don't judge me).

So afraid of being hacked, malware... or me screwing something up badly... I backed up important data, reformatted my Mac Book Pro 2017 and reinstalled the Os using the internet recovery mode. Great... everything seems ok (except I can't log into the App Store...).

I open terminal and it shows the same thing. Please note, the screenshot is from after the reformat and fresh install of the OS.

Does anyone else see this? Is this known malware? A Glitch? Bad Karma?

Please... someone help me!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 4.50.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 4.50.12 PM.png
    199.5 KB · Views: 922

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
Updates... I reset the SMC controller and reinstalled the OS (again) It seems to have gotten rid of the glitch. It was definitely the oddest thing... I can’t explain it. I’m pretty sure it has something to with the the T1 Chip or some setting being set wrong... somehow... but it’s a normal terminal now.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Someone with a better background in networking than me might explain this better, but I think it‘s an issue with the DNS reverse lookup. I’ve had that happen when I pull a dynamic IP and there’s a system misconfigured somewhere— terminal thinks thinks my machine name is the same as the last person with that IP.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Yes. That’s it. Whatever IP address you Mac is assigned has a reverse DNS name of “galaxy-note10”. It has nothing to do with the settings on your Mac or SMC. It’s how your network and DNS servers are configured On that network.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
So I reformatted my machine for nothing... LOL! Apple support was like we have no idea why that is happening. I was like... Yeah. For a moment their I thought I had malware... than for a good 4 hours I thought I bricked it... and than... well, it's all fine now.

That actually sounds like other users could get hit by this as well... but not as many. I don't know many who know what "terminal" actually is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.