Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielSM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2020
I'm looking to replace my MacBook with a more powerful laptop. I need one with good graphics as I often take up editing and gaming. So if anyone can help me with the specifications or least suggest a name.

Reactions: SophiaTech

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Dell XPS, Lenovo Thinpad, either P53, or a X1 Extreme, Razer has very powerful GPUs, and a very Mac like design, but you'll not be aving much money on them.

Reactions: SophiaTech

SophiaTech

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2020
If your budget falls under $1000 to $1500, then I would recommend "Acer Predator Helios 300", "Razer Blade 15" or as maflynn said the ThinkPad P53. What I feel is that the ThinkPad is more of a workstation than a gaming laptop.

Although you can play games on it as well, most of my friends have bought it for CAD work. There are a few other laptops that can serve your needs, can you please tell your budget. I'll suggest you some more on that basis.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I'm looking to replace my MacBook with a more powerful laptop. I need one with good graphics as I often take up editing and gaming. So if anyone can help me with the specifications or least suggest a name.
Simply get the gaming lineup from the major brands like Asus ROG, HO Omen, Dell Alienware, Lenovo Legion, Razer, etc. I think they all have great offerings if you're willing to spend $1500-$2000.

danielSM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2020
My budget is max $1200. I've limited my choice to 2 options Asus ROG Strix GL531GT-EB76 and Omen by HP 15-dc1020nr. Which one to go with?

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I have seen some very impressive reports regarding the new HP Omen 15. Evidently, it has new thermals that keeps it running great with a lot of CPU and GPU power under the hood. It is the one with the new diamond shaped blue logo. If you're willing to spend a little more, the new Dell XPS 17 appears to be a monster. It also has a new proprietary vapor chamber as part of its thermal system. It looks like a high quality machine.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.