Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Hey guys, thanks for helping me with this. I'm sure there are probably other threads on this, but I may have a different situation.

I'm looking to update my firmware to 4.2.1 on my 4g touch that is jailbroken on 4.1. Correct me if i'm wrong but there is an untethered jailbreak for 4.2.1 right?

If so, how do I go about doing this? i've looked on youtube and seen people having to update to 4.2.1 tethered then somehow untether it. I have no idea haha.

My mail goal is to update my 4G iPod Touch from jailbroken 4.1 to jailbroken 4.2.1. Any help is appreciated!

Garbag3man117

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011
Lafayette, IN
I can help! I just did it with my 4.2.1 iPod Touch 4g!

Go ahead and update your iPod to 4.2.1. You can do it straight from iTunes. Could you tell me what operating system you are running?

Garbag3man117

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011
Lafayette, IN
I'm sorry I didn't see the untethered jailbreak part. The only way you can untether iOS 4.2.1 is if you are running mac os x. After you have tethered your iPod follow these steps: http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-4.2.1-untethered-with-redsn0w-0.9.7b1-how-to-guide/

If you aren't running Mac OS X ATM then you are screwed. You'll have to wait until they come out with an untethered for Windows.

But anyway, I have had mine tethered and it isn't that bad. It almost never runs out of batteries and in the month or so mine has been jailbreaked ive only restarted it twice. If you carry a flash drive on you at all times like me lol I just put redsn0w and the .ispw file on a flash drive just in case.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
NC
My concern is that I will lose all the things I downloaded on Cydia already if I update. Any thoughts?

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B118 Safari/6531.22.7)

ECUpirate44 said:
My concern is that I will lose all the things I downloaded on Cydia already if I update. Any thoughts?

You can use aptbackup or pkgbackup to backup(as in which cydia apps you had) and restore the apps you had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.