Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zheng_Qing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2020
I just bought a Mac Pro 5, 1 with macOS Mojave and hardware: Dual x5695, Nvidia Quadro 4000 mac edition, and 32g ram. I plan to upgrade it to Catalina to support my AMD RX 5700 card. So I used the Catalina Patcher.
I did exactly as the tutorial video shows:
(1) Create the bootable driver
(2) Get into recovery mode and flash the target hard disk to APFS.
(3) In recovery mode, selected "Reinstall Catalina" and wait it until it rebooted (finished part of the installation). Then it finish the second part of installation, it will rebooted again. (Note that in my case, there is no some command line messages during the process)
(4) Then into the "post-install patches" and applied the default patchers for mac pro 5,1.
(5) Reboot... then it stuck on this screen (a bar with a circle) forever.

6F30F83E-0759-4952-BE91-F47570B87403.jpeg
6F30F83E-0759-4952-BE91-F47570B87403.jpeg

Note that I didn't do anything about the "APFS BootROM Support" issue mentioned in by DosDude1. Since I thought that my machine is already Mojave before upgrading. So the APFS BootROM should no problem.
Can any one help me with this issue? I have tried several time and it always like this. Is there any mistakes in my process? Or is this situation cased by the hardware (such as old Nvidia GPU)? I really appreicate your help!!! Many thx!!!

Zheng_Qing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2020
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.