Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pedzsan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2016
Leander, TX
Rene Ritchie has a YouTube video on the topic (within the first two minutes) and I also found 9 to 5 Mac with an article but I can't get any consistent behavior.

I have an 2018 iPad Pro with the Smart Keyboard Folio, I have an older iPad Air 2, and an iPhone XS Max. I can't get any consistent and predictable results trying to select text with two fingers.

I've tried the most on the iPad Pro and there are times when the cursor goes into the tracking mode and I move my two fingers and the cursor moves much like a track pad. But it is not all the time and, indeed, it is rather rare. But... there seems to be a "state" to it. Once it is in that mode, then things with two fingers work as the articles describe until it leaves that state.

Likewise, I've seen text being selected as I move two fingers around the screen but, just like the "track pad mode", it seems to be unpredictable when it will decide to do it.

Usually, tap and hold with two fingers and then moving them causes the text to scroll up or down.

I'm using Notes (the note pad) with a large blob of text split into several paragraphs. There are hints that some apps act different but I figure since it has happened at least occasionally within Notes, then Notes must support this type of selection.

For the iPad Air 2, when the virtual keyboard is exposed, I can get it to be fairly predictable but the key is that the two fingers must be within the keyboard area and not on the text (at least that is my experience so far).

The iPhone XS Max I'm not as worried about because it had 3D touch and that seems to be the key with using it. I may need to practice with it some and figure out the specifics.

All of these have the latest iOS 12.1.1. I understand that some UI nuances may differ between the devices so I'm not seeking a universal method. Most... its the iPad Pro that I'd like to understand be become more proficient at.

Thank you for your time...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.