Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pargolfer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2004
NYC
I recently downloaded and was using for several days mlMac to download music etc. After several fairly productive days it would no longer work. In addition about 12-15 GB from my HD "disappeared.

Any thought or help would be appreciated.:)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Go to ~/Library/Application Support/mlMac and see how big it is. This might be where your space has disappeared to. It shouldn't hurt to delete it.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Re: Help - mlMac

Originally posted by pargolfer
After several fairly productive days it would no longer work.

You're going to have to do better than that. Does it hang? crash? error message? daemon doesn't load? downloads won't start? won't connect? servers won't return search results? be specific :) the more specific you are, the more likely that one of us can help.

paul

pargolfer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2004
NYC
It does not appear to conect. The loss of HD space still biggest mystery in addition other minor functions such the search function within the HD to locate files no longer "locates" anything.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by pargolfer
It does not appear to conect. The loss of HD space still biggest mystery in addition other minor functions such the search function within the HD to locate files no longer "locates" anything.

I can answer this for you. Here's what is going on. mlMac, for whatever reason does a funny thing with HD space. Let's say you have attemtped to download a 400mb file from mlMac. Now even if the download is stalled or hasn't even started mlMac automatically "sets aside" a 400mb piece of your HD for that file. So think of it like this. Every single thing in the Transfers section of mlMac is taking up that much HD space, regardless of whether you've actually downloaded it or not. This can quickly add up and cause problems. What I do is go through the Transfers and get rid of any that have not atleast started or have been stalled for more than a day or so. Also,you can manually delete all these files in the Finder. Here's how:

1. Quit mlMac
2. Go to Home>Library>Application Support>mlMac>mlnet folder>Temp
3. These are those files that are eating up your HD space. Get rid of 'em
4.That's it. Just remember to remove any downloads that don't look like they're gonna happen and maybe don't have so many Transfers at once.

:)

krimson

macrumors 65816
yeah, as stated above, mlnet allocates space for all your downloads, so if you have 14Gb's of dl's going on, they already have the space, no matter if you've only d/l'd 2%, or 98%.

As far as not working, what build are you using? 2.5-3 or -4, there was a problem with the -3 where they dont connect to servers, or wont pickup your ID, and you end up with a Low priority... i've been running -4 for a while, and the last 2 weeks continuous without problems... check your servers for connection priority, if they're all Low, then upping to -4 might be in the future for you.

they do have a good FAQ/Forum section on their site.

pargolfer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2004
NYC
I tried to locate the file in Application Support and it is not there. The problem started right after I shut down the computer and restarted it. I do not believe I had 14GB worth of stuff in the que (though I was like a kid in a candy store) The other whacky thing is that the file search function is not working. I used Acquisition before mlMac and never had a problem and in the December issue of Consumer Reports they suggested mlMac. had I known it had any relation to Kaaza (which I believe it does) I never would of screwed with it. i do appreciate the help. I did remove and reload both 0.7.2 and 0.7.2a. While it worked it was great.

krimson

macrumors 65816
the temp files are in your mlmac folder, check in there, and there should be a "Temp" folder. If you were looking for the name of the file you were d/l'n.. it probably wont work, the files are stored as its MD4 until the file is completed and the file is renamed and moved to your incoming folder.

Or you can search by the MD4 of the file.. . that should tell you where the temp file is stored.

pargolfer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2004
NYC
First I want to thank everyone for all of your help. I was able to wipe out the program and get ny HD space back as well as getting back a working file "search" function.

A littlle bit of everyone's advise worked:

First I was able to review what was on the disc with "WhatSize"
There was no mlMac folder/file in the Application Support folder

There was an mlMac file that contained a "terminal" icon buried somewhere else (I did not pay attention at first I am sorry to report as it seemed mundane) I moved it trash and at the end of my review I attempted to delete it which I could not do as it was still 'being" used.

I was about to delete through the terminal when I tried "secure empty trash" which worked.

I shut down the computer started it up this morning and everything is back to normal. Thank you everybody.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
well that's not the right way at all but what ever floats yer boat.

One more time just in case:

1. Quit mlMac
2. Go to Home>Library>Application Support>mlMac>mlnet folder>Temp
3. Delete everything in the Temp folder
4. Never post here again (just kidding)

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.