Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schmactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
Just installed Mojave on an older system that had been running El Capitan. So many problems now:

1) Every time I restart the computer it goes through the Mojave "Setting Up Your Mac" screens that normally only appear right after an install and therefore a lot of changes I've made get reset.

2) I can't sign into iCloud. I keep getting "errors" and "unknown problems"

3) The "MacOS needs to repair your library" loop is in full effect and I can't get it to stop.

4) Chrome pauses sync every time I restart it which it never used to do.

5) Lots of other things are acting weird but those are the main ones.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
1) Every time I restart the computer it goes through the Mojave "Setting Up Your Mac" screens that normally only appear right after an install and therefore a lot of changes I've made get reset.
For this problem you can use in Terminal
Code:
sudo touch /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone
and, if the problem persists, try
Code:
sudo touch /private/var/db/.AppleDiagnosticsSetupDone
For the rest... you should probably consider a clean install.

Reactions: Riwam

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Sorry to hear about your problem with the Mojave install. It’s not advisable to install Mojave from El Capitan. As far as I know, it is required you need to have High Sierra installed first before installing Mojave. A friend of mine using an iMac, from El Capitan he upgraded to Mojave and also screwed up his Mac. All his programs were super slow and he encountered many freezes. It's also good practice to first clone your drive before installing any new OSX

Remag123

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2018
Queens, NY
Short & Sweet. CLEAN INSTALL. El Capitan is as close to the Kiss of Death you can get. Fusion Drive are another Apple disaster, just replaced mine with a SSD.

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
Sorry to hear about your problem with the Mojave install. It’s not advisable to install Mojave from El Capitan. As far as I know, it is required you need to have High Sierra installed first before installing Mojave. A friend of mine using an iMac, from El Capitan he upgraded to Mojave and also screwed up his Mac. All his programs were super slow and he encountered many freezes. It's also good practice to first clone your drive before installing any new OSX
FYI: I “upgraded” from El Capitan directly to Mojave on my MBA. No problems whatsoever.

Last edited:

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
I migrated Mavericks apps and data to the High Sierra partition (High Sierra - Mavericks = 3 releases skipped, as opposed to Mojave - ElCapitan = 2 releases) without issues. You problems may be related to the fact that ElCap was HFS and Mojave - entirely APFS, whereas High Sierra allowed 2 way install - either as HSF or APFS. That explains why I didn't have any problems with HS.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
FYI: I “upgraded” from El Capitan directly to Mojave on my MBA. No problems whatsoever.
Likely depends on the model of the Mac computer. In this Apple article, the article indicated that you need to have High Sierra installed as required before installing Mojave in a Mac Pro. Probably with newer Macs, it’s not required to have High Sierra installed.

Mojave_Install.jpg

Reactions: aaronraimist

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
Likely depends on the model of the Mac computer. In this Apple article, the article indicated that you need to have High Sierra installed as required before installing Mojave in a Mac Pro. Probably with newer Macs, it’s not required to have High Sierra installed.

View attachment 896447
That being the case, Would there not be an Apple system edit that would prevent you from going from El Capitan directly to Mojave?

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
That being the case, Would there not be an Apple system edit that would prevent you from going from El Capitan directly to Mojave?
To clarify, what do you mean an Apple system edit going directly to Mojave? I mentioned in my previous post, depending on other Macs, they can permit the user to install Mojave without having High Sierra installed.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
A small indication just as an info.
Although Apple wants that everybody uses APFS with Mojave, there are workarounds if one wants to keep HFS+. It needs some additional steps before and after installing Mojave but it is not true, as mentionrd above (Maverick28) that „Mojave is entirely APFS“ in spite of Apple‘s wishes. I indicated how it worked for me in a thread some time ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.