Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JASUR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
I'm,sorry,guys,but,i,couldn't,find,any,solutions,for,this,my,space,button,does,not,working,is,i,do,not,know,what,happened,it,just,stopped,working.please,can,anybody,help???
Thank,you

Wireless Buddy

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm,sorry,guys,but,i,couldn't,find,any,solutions,for,this,my,space,button,does,not,working,is,i,do,not,know,what,happened,it,just,stopped,working.please,can,anybody,help???
Thank,you

I clicked on this thread because I knew I would get a laugh out of this. Like that guy whose keyboard typed a $ when he pressed the "S" key. Classic.

Yes, you can take the keys out of a MacBook, not easily, but check ifixit.com for guides.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Rub a tissue underneath the key (gently), and run a vacuum cleaner over it.

Otherwise is it in warranty?

KompleX

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2008
Downey, CA
try using the spacebar in various programs. it's also possible that a keyboard shortcut was associated w/ the spacebar so try restoring it under system preferences/keyboard&mouse. click on the "keyboard shortcuts" tab, then browse the list to see if "space" appears by itself. if it does then uncheck it. if none of that works, then you need to take the macbook in for repairs or fix it yourself. you can use an external keyboard in the meantime.

also try cleaning the keyboard from the inside like others have suggested.

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
Ihadafriendwhodidthistomeallthetimetowindmeup.itwaskindoffunnyuntilhediditforlongerthanfiveminutes.AnywayIhopeyoufindasolution.Tryvacuumingthekeyboard.Haveyouspiltanythingonitrecently?

JASUR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Ihadafriendwhodidthistomeallthetimetowindmeup.itwaskindoffunnyuntilhediditforlongerthanfiveminutes.AnywayIhopeyoufindasolution.Tryvacuumingthekeyboard.Haveyouspiltanythingonitrecently?

I,DONT,REMEMBER,ANYTHIN,LIKE,THAT,IT,HAS,JUST,STOPPED,WORKIN.:mad:

Masizzle

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
LMAO@ThisThread.

Seriously, I would suggest rebooting and if that doesn't work just pop off the spacebar key... even if you break it you can buy a new key for 12 bucks or something.. I had to do that with my f12, i broke it while cleaning. Space bar was a hell of a lot easier to put back on and off though. Good luck.

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Your myspace button doesn't work?
I didn't even know macbooks had one...

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Is your caps lock button broken as well?

Like others have suggested, try using it in different programs to see whether it's program specific, and check nothing's been assigned to the space bar key in the Preferences.

If that doesn't shed any light on the matter, take it into an apple store, presuming it's still under warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.