Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcparadis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
Help , I am looking for a basic drawing program for houses or floor plans. Cad like but hopefully more user friendly.

mim

macrumors 6502
Re: HELP Need easy to use cad like program

Originally posted by mcparadis
Help , I am looking for a basic drawing program for houses or floor plans. Cad like but hopefully more user friendly.

Well, there's Archicad or Vectorworks to start with. Archicad's a pretty full blown cad package that's also very easy to use. Both are fairly expensive.

I've also come across this proggy - graphite http://www.vellum.co.uk/pro_graphite.html
I've never used it before, but it's a fair bit cheaper than Archicad.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I personally use VectorWorks on an occationally basis. I actually started using it when it was a 2D cad program called BluePrint that later evolved into Minicad which had some 3D capabilities.

At that time my choices were Blueprint, PowerDraw, and TurboCAD. These were the the low cost options, about $200 or so. I've seen TurboCAD for Windows but I think Mac support was dropped long ago. PowerDraw, I think is marketed has PowerCAD.

If you want something inexpensive, I think you will be out of luck. The downside to Vectoworks is that you have to purchase third party plot drivers unless you have your own plotter.

Maybe try a Google search or Download.com

I do have some old disk for BluePrint and Minicad I may be interesed in selling. Drop me a private message if you are interested. I might even still have my TurboCAD disks.

vitruvius

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2002
Caracas, Venezuela
what about DenebaCad?

What about denebaCAD?

DenebaCAD

its an easy to learn CAD software, not to much pretentious, but has an easy learning curve and incluides a basic introduction to 3D modeling. It was Born in my Country ( Venezuela ) named ARCHIdot , then deneba bought it, i was a Beta tester when i was studying architecture. maybe u should take a look.

now i use VectorWorks and i think its great for 2D CAD and ive heard very nice coments on ArchiCad. but if u are starting to use CAD the price its a little high.

i hope this helps:)

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by irmongoose
Try SketchUp. It's a great 3D CAD program, very easy to use, and they have a fully functional demo available.

irmongoose

WOW ! Where did this come from? It appears to be a really cool design tool. I see Macworld gives it 4 1/2 mice. :D

mikem oz

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2006
Blueprint evolved into VectorWorks

10+ years ago Diehl Graphsoft sold BluePrint for those that only wanted 2D, and MiniCAD for those that wanted 2D and 3D.

MiniCAD evolved into VectorWorks and the company became Nemetschek North America. http://www.nemetschek.net/

VectorWorks 12 now has a SketchUP plug in for importing SketchUP buildings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.