Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8thMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
My wife runs an ancient OS9 program in her business that is not available in OSX. She's been printing off our venerable Epson 740i but it has finally given up the ghost. I'd like to use our Epson R220 but the Epson website does not offer an OS9 driver for it. What can I do? I guess I could dig up an old OS9-compatible printer but I feel ridiculous buying used and duplicate equipment when I already have a perfectly good printer. Curse obsolescence!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Doesn't Classic redirect print jobs to your MacOS X printer? If you have an older version of MacOS X, then you can use a virtual printer in Classic to print to a PostScript file, and then use Preview to open and print the PostScript file.

8thMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Doesn't Classic redirect print jobs to your MacOS X printer? If you have an older version of MacOS X, then you can use a virtual printer in Classic to print to a PostScript file, and then use Preview to open and print the PostScript file.

Should 10.3.9 redirect automatically?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Should 10.3.9 redirect automatically?
I know that MacOS X 10.4 does. I don't believe that 10.3 does, but it is easy to check. Just do a Page Setup.... Your printer should be available. If not, then use the Classic Apple Printer Utility to setup a PostScript virtual printer. After that, follow the workaround in my earlier post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.