Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LUt87543

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2018
Liverpool
Hello everyone,

I was assigned a film to make from my course (not filmmaking). The topic is "the 50th anniversary of the department of psychology" of my university.

They've given much freedom on what to do, what to use, how creative you want to be etc.

I want to make something good. I do have skills with the camera and final cut (not extremely advanced but enough for this project).

I have in mind to put 2-3 short interviews in the film as witnesses of old and new times. But I don't want to do only interviews because it will be boring. Here comes the problem: I don't know how to develop the story because the topic is a bit dull.

They said that the optimal length would be 5-6 minutes.

ANY IDEAS guys????? need your help.

Thank you in advance

JoshCalvetti

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
you're probably best off with a doc style production- maybe check with the university's PR department and see about getting some old pictures to add in, maybe reach out to alumni for stories, do some voiceover, etc. I find with this stuff it's helpful to find a documentary style you enjoy and pick technique from there (without straight up copying it haha).

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Perhaps add in some "feel good," which is all relative. As with any story, determine your target audience. In this case it's your class (and the instructor), so you could show things like major milestones (growth, recognition, research papers, etc.). Talk to instructors/professors/graduates. Ask them all the same questions, such as "how has this changed your life?"

Other things to zotz it up: Add movement to stills. Set it to music without any spoken words.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.