Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Witslow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
I bought a mac that had no hdd.
Ive also purchased a new hdd to go into the macbook pro.
My problem is i have no operable mac to load osx onto.
But i do have a pc.
Is it possible to use my pc to load osx onto the hard drive so that i can insert it into my macbook?
If not what is the better option?
Please help as soon as possible

Witslow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
It depends on the Mac. All Macs made since 2011 can boot to Internet Recovery, which allows you to format the new internal HDD and install OS X. This support article should get you going: https://support.apple.com/HT201314
Thanks for the quick reply.
Id need to somehow connect to internet to do this? So with no os i can plug the macbook into my router and boot into recovery this way?
It is post 2011 thanks again

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Thanks for the quick reply.
Id need to somehow connect to internet to do this? So with no os i can plug the macbook into my router and boot into recovery this way?
It is post 2011 thanks again

Plug into the router is preferable to wi-fi (for speed and reliability of connection), but if you don't have an existing ethernet connection you will be prompted to log into a wi-fi network so you can proceed with the Internet Recovery process.

Either way, if the Mac doesn't detect an internally-bootable OS, it may start Internet Recovery automatically.

Witslow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
Plug into the router is preferable to wi-fi (for speed and reliability of connection), but if you don't have an existing ethernet connection you will be prompted to log into a wi-fi network so you can proceed with the Internet Recovery process.

Either way, if the Mac doesn't detect an internally-bootable OS, it may start Internet Recovery automatically.

Thanks again, but unfortunatly no good. Have just tried ethernet and all the "command + r" ect options available each leave me woth the flashing folder with a question mark

Witslow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
Sorry if i seem a noob/pest. Have just tried this exactly, and now twice. Im still getting the flashing folder with a question mark on it. Is there some way to load ios onto it through my pc maybe?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Short answer, no. There's no way to install macOS from a PC. However, someone with a Mac could create a bootable installer on a USB drive for you - https://support.apple.com/HT201372

I'm suspecting your post-2011 Mac may be older than you think. Internet Recovery is part of the system's EFI ROM (boot ROM), so if it's not booting to Internet Recovery then the two likely scenarios are that either Internet Recovery is not in EFI (pre-2011), or there's some user error involved.

Witslow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
Short answer, no. There's no way to install macOS from a PC. However, someone with a Mac could create a bootable installer on a USB drive for you - https://support.apple.com/HT201372

I'm suspecting your post-2011 Mac may be older than you think. Internet Recovery is part of the system's EFI ROM (boot ROM), so if it's not booting to Internet Recovery then the two likely scenarios are that either Internet Recovery is not in EFI (pre-2011), or there's some user error involved.
I think you may be right on the being older than i thought part. Some writting on the back mentions 2009. I guess ill just try use a friends mac and follow the guide you supplied. Thanks for all your input. Big help as simple as it was

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Sorry if i seem a noob/pest. Have just tried this exactly, and now twice. Im still getting the flashing folder with a question mark on it.
I'm a noob at installing a new harddrive into a mac to get it to work. I'm guessing that you may need to format it properly?

Is there some way to load ios onto it through my pc maybe?
Just to keep from triggering some people ( maybe just me ):

iOS = iPad, iPhone, iPod
OS = Macs
tvOS = Apple TV
watchOS = Apple Watch

When we are writing/reading about operating systems, it confuses us when you mention a computer and the iOS.

Reactions: Beachguy

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
I'm a noob at installing a new harddrive into a mac to get it to work. I'm guessing that you may need to format it properly?

Just to keep from triggering some people ( maybe just me ):

iOS = iPad, iPhone, iPod
OS = Macs
tvOS = Apple TV
watchOS = Apple Watch

When we are writing/reading about operating systems, it confuses us when you mention a computer and the iOS.

TRIGGERED!
MacOS = Macs
;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.