Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joseph Farrugia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
Malta (EU)
HELP needed:
Rename option disappeared in Finder right click menu.

When I choose one file & right click, I no longer see the option "Rename" in Yosemite 10.10.5
AFAIK this was working fine up till some time ago.

Yep I tried booting in Safe mode, & yes getting the Finder to rename using the keyboard (press enter) works.

Funnily enough when I choose 2 or more options....the Rename option is available when I right click o_O
(screenshot attached)

Any ideas how to get the rename file option back when I right click one file would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 14.22.30.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 14.22.30.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 569

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I've never noticed the lack of "Rename", but if it's any consolation I have two systems running Yosemite and they both work as does yours, no menu item for a single selection and yes a menu item to Rename shows for multiple selections.
As mentioned I've never noticed this behavior because I normally rename files with a single click to select and then just type the new name, no menu item required.

Check it out here.

Joseph Farrugia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
Malta (EU)
I've never noticed the lack of "Rename", but if it's any consolation I have two systems running Yosemite and they both work as does yours, no menu item for a single selection and yes a menu item to Rename shows for multiple selections.
As mentioned I've never noticed this behavior because I normally rename files with a single click to select and then just type the new name, no menu item required.

Check it out here.
Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.