Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nshaikspike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
Hi fellow mac users!

So I heard it recommended that I should create a new partition to try El Capitan. I have done this, and it has installed successfully. However, now I am left with two problems

I can't get El Capitan on my original partition as it says it has already been installed.

I can't reverse the process of partitioning, so I am now stuck with two partitions on my computer.

Please help!

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
Hi fellow mac users!

So I heard it recommended that I should create a new partition to try El Capitan. I have done this, and it has installed successfully. However, now I am left with two problems

I can't get El Capitan on my original partition as it says it has already been installed.

I can't reverse the process of partitioning, so I am now stuck with two partitions on my computer.

Please help!
I don't understand your first question.
You can always remove partitions from Disk Utility.

nshaikspike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015

This time it won't give me the option. There is a plus and a minus button, and when I try to click the minus button, nothing happens.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon

Are you booted from the partition you are trying to remove?

You can download the El Capitan installer again in App Store under Purchases.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It sounds like perhaps the El Capitan install converted the volume to a core storage volume that cannot be manipulate normally in Disk Utility.

Run the command below in Terminal and post the output up here so we can have a look.

Code:
diskutil cs list

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.