Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barabase

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
When I tried to delete my Windows 10 with Bootcamp, my Mac suddenly crashed and the screen was freezing. So I restarted it by pressing the Power button and now I only have 64 GB (since I used 57GB on Windows and my Mac is a 128GB). The other 57 GB seems to vanish due to the bootcamp error. I've uploaded some picture down below describing the problem I have. Do you guys have a solution for this problem? I have also tried factory reset, but it didn't work either.

Screen+Shot+2018-04-09+at+18.31.10.png
Screen+Shot+2018-04-09+at+18.31.35.png
Screen+Shot+2018-04-09+at+18.31.50.png

Shadow Jolteon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2018
By factory reset, do you mean reinstalling macOS? If so, and you've already wiped your machine, try this:
1. Boot into the recovery partition by rebooting your computer and holding the command and R keys until you see the Apple logo.
2. Choose your language, then go to Utilities in the menu bar and pick Disk Utility.
3. Click view in the toolbar, then choose "Show all devices".
4. Select APPLE SSD SM0123L Media from the menu on the left, then use the erase menu to erase and repartition your SSD. The newly created volume should be nearly as big as your SSD's total capacity.

If you haven't wiped the drive already, back up any data, follow through step three above, then: Choose the partition option and attempt to remove the partition again while booted from recovery.

barabase

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
Thanks for reply, and yes I meant reinstalling macOS. Do you by any chance know what've happened? I did your suggestion, but It didnt work. Have any possible solution?

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
"Free space" is exactly what it says: free space. It's not a partition, it's the part of the disk that isn't allocated to any partition. Your "Macintosh HD" partition is 64GB and the rest of the disk is not used. By deleting your Windows partition this is what you wanted.

You could try to resize the Macintosh HD partition, but before attempting that you should either backup your data or make sure there isn't anything important on the partition. The second image in your first post shows the correct view where you can resize the partition, just choose your Macintosh HD to change it's size. You probably need to boot into recovery partition to be able to do that.

barabase

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
Yes but that is the problem, I cant resize the macintosh partition. And now suddenly out of the blue, my mac entered prohibitory mode. It seems like my mac is f*ed up.

Shadow Jolteon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2018
It sounds like your drive may be having issues. If your computer is still covered under warranty, get in touch with Apple to set up a repair. Even if it ends up not being a hardware issue, Apple will be able to help you get your drive partitioned properly.

barabase

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
I think going to apple store for fix is what I'll have to do. I dont think I have warranty though, might cost a lot. But do you have an idea on how I can fix this prohibitory problem?

Shadow Jolteon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2018
The prohibited symbol at startup means that the operating system could not be found/started. Reinstalling macOS is generally the easiest way to fix this, if you're able to. Since you're having other issues related to your storage drive, it sounds like you probably have some kind of issue with your storage drive, but it's hard to say without looking at the machine.

You can also try running Apple Diagnostics by holding the D key on startup. This tool might be able to at least tell you what is going wrong with your computer, if it is hardware-related.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Here's an absolutely guaranteed way to fix the drive in question:

1. Use CarbonCopyCloner to create a bootable cloned backup of the Mac boot partition on a USB3 external drive (CCC will also clone over the recovery partition, as well).
2. BOOT from the cloned backup
3. Open Disk Utility and ERASE the internal drive. NUKE IT BACK TO ZERO with ONE partition. Quit Disk Utility and open CCC.
4. RE-clone the cloned backup BACK TO the internal drive.
5. Problems, solved.

All this really takes is the time to create the clone, and the time used up to re-clone the backup back to the internal drive.
But... it WILL "do the job" you need to have done.

CCC is FREE to download and use for 30 days. You can get this done before the time runs out!

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I guess you need to use the following command in Terminal:

gpt destroy /dev/disk0

This will bring your disk to its raw, uninitialised state and you can set it up the way you want to.

Reactions: lucian.cj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.