Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Codnhuss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2016
Hi
I have an old iPhone 3GS that is network locked. I have installed the latest version of iTunes and redsn0w and put the phone into dfu mode. The first hurdle l have encountered is that redsn0w doesn't think my phone is connected?

Any ideas?

Alex

Codnhuss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2016
"Network locked"...you don't think jailbreaking will unlock the 3GS, do you?
"Network locked"...you don't think jailbreaking will unlock the 3GS, do you?
Can you do it through Cydia? The phone won't activate as l don't have the original sim from the carrier "Telia". I bought it off of an online auction site, it was cheap so not too worried. Are you knowledgable in this area? If so please explain. I should also mention that I have restored it in dfu mode via iTunes.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Check with Telia about unlocking the phone. If you own it outright they should honor your request.

The required info they need for unlocking your iPhone has nothing to do with the SIM, so I think its absence won't matter.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Hi
I have an old iPhone 3GS that is network locked. I have installed the latest version of iTunes and redsn0w and put the phone into dfu mode. The first hurdle l have encountered is that redsn0w doesn't think my phone is connected?

Any ideas?

Alex

Software unlocks depend on the baseband version (there hasn't been any for at least 3 years now and most likely won't be anymore)

First, check what the baseband (modem firmware) is. And also check if it's the older baseband or newer baseband

Codnhuss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2016
Software unlocks depend on the baseband version (there hasn't been any for at least 3 years now and most likely won't be anymore)

First, check what the baseband (modem firmware) is. And also check if it's the older baseband or newer baseband
Well l have just sent them an email. I suspect they will want money.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Hi

Any ideas?

Alex
Everything you need to do is explained here:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Don't install the iPad baseband in order to unlock unless you're 1000% sure it's compatible with your phone. If it's not it will fry all wireless radios on the board and you'd be stuck with irreversible damage to the logic board.

iBoss101

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2015
Hi

Any ideas?

Alex
I had the same problem as you. When I jailbroke my 3GS, I had to first use redsn0w to jb and then install SAM utlity in Cydia.
go into itunes and see if your phone is recognized. then go to http://ipswdownloader.com/ and select iphone - 3gs - and then ios 6.0. YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD IOS 6.0. IT WON'T WORK WITH ANY OTHER VERSION!!!
Go into redsn0w and go to extras. click select ipsw and select the 6.0 ipsw you got earlier.
go back to the main page and click jailbreak. BEFORE clicking next, PUT THE DEVICE IN DFU MODE FIRST!
then it will automatically start jailbreaking, and all is well. if an options page comes up, choose the customizations you want. if i remember right, their is an unlock option. if not, just keep reading.
in cydia add the repo http://repo.bingner.com/
insert the new sim card, from the new carrier.
install the SAM utility. open samprefs, go to utilities, and choose attempt unlock.
sam will attempt to unlock your iphone!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I had the same problem as you. When I jailbroke my 3GS, I had to first use redsn0w to jb and then install SAM utlity in Cydia.
go into itunes and see if your phone is recognized. then go to http://ipswdownloader.com/ and select iphone - 3gs - and then ios 6.0. YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD IOS 6.0. IT WON'T WORK WITH ANY OTHER VERSION!!!
Go into redsn0w and go to extras. click select ipsw and select the 6.0 ipsw you got earlier.
go back to the main page and click jailbreak. BEFORE clicking next, PUT THE DEVICE IN DFU MODE FIRST!
then it will automatically start jailbreaking, and all is well. if an options page comes up, choose the customizations you want. if i remember right, their is an unlock option. if not, just keep reading.
install the SAM utility. open samprefs, go to utilities, and choose attempt unlock.

Sam hasn't worked in order to unlock for many many years.
Back in 2012 though the OP could have followed your advice:D

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US

Can this be used on an iPhone 4? I wouldn't mind having iOS 6 running on it one bit. Or is this only for the 3GS?

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Used to be possible, but for that part, if you want to downgrade from 7.1.2, you need to be jailbroaken and you need to have SHSH blobs saved for IOS to which you want to downgrade.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Well that is always a problem :)....you have to make sure that all the traces of new version of iTunes are deleted from your PC. You have to do it manually...delete everything that has to do with Apple first from Programs and than also from registry, than reboot the PC and after that you should be OK to install an older version of iTunes.

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
Can you do it through Cydia? The phone won't activate as l don't have the original sim from the carrier "Telia". I bought it off of an online auction site, it was cheap so not too worried. Are you knowledgable in this area? If so please explain. I should also mention that I have restored it in dfu mode via iTunes.
My daily phone is an AT&T iPhone 3Gs and I have t-mobile. I jailbroke my iPhone, ran the activation on redsn0w and then installed UltraSn0w. Read my Tmobile SIM right off the bat.
[doublepost=1454437672][/doublepost]
i guess it all depends on what version of ios you have installed.
Can this be used on an iPhone 4? I wouldn't mind having iOS 6 running on it one bit. Or is this only for the 3GS?
Yes, it works on the iPhone 4 if you're running the correct baseband and iOS 6. You may also need to downgrade iTunes. Best version to be sure is 10.7. Remember to remove/ backup the library.itl folder. If not iTunes will not run

Last edited:

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
My daily phone is an AT&T iPhone 3Gs and I have t-mobile. I jailbroke my iPhone, ran the activation on redsn0w and then installed UltraSn0w. Read my Tmobile SIM right off the bat.
[doublepost=1454437672][/doublepost]

Yes, it works on the iPhone 4 but you need to flash it with the iPad baseband. It is an option when jailbreaking with redsn0w. Also, you need to download and install an older version of iTunes. 10.7 would be your best bet if using iOS 6 or 7. Remember to move Library.itl out of your iTunes folder.

The iPhone 4 is NOT compatible with flashing to the iPad baseband

Only the iPhone 3GS is. And out of all the 3GS's, only the older baseband version one is compatible with flashing to the iPad baseband

Reactions: WalnutSpice

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
The iPhone 4 is NOT compatible with flashing to the iPad baseband

Only the iPhone 3GS is. And out of all the 3GS's, only the older baseband version one is compatible with flashing to the iPad baseband
Alright, didn't know that. But I do know the iPhone 4 can run Ultrasn0w under iOS 6 and the correct baseband. iOS 7 is iffy then.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
The only phone 4 baseband, Ultrasnow was able to unlock, is 1.59.00 and that was ages ago...

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Alright, didn't know that. But I do know the iPhone 4 can run Ultrasn0w under iOS 6 and the correct baseband. iOS 7 is iffy then.
Yes, but only for baseband 1.59.00 (which was the original baseband version that the GSM iPhone shipped with)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.