Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrlion2002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
I sincerely apologize if this has been talked about here before, but in sort of dire need to get this mac fixed. I have a 733 / 1GB RAM Powermac G4 Quicksilver--completely clean.

When I first launched it, the internet was fine and was loading quick. As I did a sofware upgrade, I updated everything on the screen.

Now, my Safari or even Explorer, when I enter the url address, it takes soo long for the page to load. ie. when I type in google.com it takes close to 15-25 seconds for site to load up.

I have 10.3.9 by the way. Has anyone else experienced this? Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

:eek:

jrlion2002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
mad jew said:
Did you repair permissions afterwards? I haven't used 10.3.9 since Tiger came out but it was fine speed-wise from memory. :)

Hi mad jew: Dont be so mad;-) Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I did that utility repair permissions thing and it still didnt work. Surprisingly, when I did the same thing to my old powerbook 500mhz, it did the same thing....

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
So both machines are running slowly on 10.3.9 then? What sort of third party apps or hacks do you have installed? How are you connected to the internet?

I'll try to become a little more sane over the next few posts, but no promises. :D

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Download Firefox and see if it has the same effect. Also worth a consideration is calling your isp and seeing if their is something going on with their connection, could of just been a coincidence that your connection became slow when you upgraded.

It some info from a google search:

http://www.macosx.com/content/faq.php/q1306/1039-Safari-Really-Slow.html

http://www.macosx.com/content/faq.php/q16689/Mail-And-Safari-Very-Slow-to-Start.html

There is more pages in the google search:
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=safari+slow+10.3.9&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

jrlion2002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
mad jew said:
So both machines are running slowly on 10.3.9 then? What sort of third party apps or hacks do you have installed? How are you connected to the internet?

I'll try to become a little more sane over the next few posts, but no promises. :D

LOL....nothing installed...I just clicked on software updater and installed all the java script, security updates, etc....

Im on 26k modem;-) Just kidding, Im on cable.. Its weird, lets say for example I enter http://www.msnbc.com it will take a while for hte page to load, but then when I return back to it, it loads quicker.. Or when I put in yahoo.com --it takes 20 seconds to completel load the page..this all happened after hte updates.

And there is no third party hacks, etc...on it.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Have you tried unplugging the modem, cutting its power, restarting the Mac(s), waiting thirty seconds or so and then plugging everything back in before starting the Mac(s) back up? :)

Hope that was a little less mad... :D

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Its faster to load when you visit a site again, because part of the page is kept in the cache to load faster ;)

Those above links had some good info. One person recommended you try and install the 10.3.9 combo update (ie. 10.3.x to 10.3.9). Not the one that updates you from 10.3.8. Worth a try.

jrlion2002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
DeSnousa said:
Download Firefox and see if it has the same effect. Also worth a consideration is calling your isp and seeing if their is something going on with their connection, could of just been a coincidence that your connection became slow when you upgraded.

It some info from a google search:

http://www.macosx.com/content/faq.php/q1306/1039-Safari-Really-Slow.html

http://www.macosx.com/content/faq.php/q16689/Mail-And-Safari-Very-Slow-to-Start.html

There is more pages in the google search:
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=safari+slow+10.3.9&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Hi and thanks for the reply. I did call isp and said all was normal. It just seems to be happening on both my macs. Ihave a PC right next to me and its just fine.

It also happens on Firefox, Explorer, Netscape. Im thinking it was something with the software upgrade.

Same thing: You type address in, the page tries to load, and after 15-26 seconds, it loads the page...if I visit another site, and then revert back to the previous site, it loads quicker.

jrlion2002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
mad jew said:
Have you tried unplugging the modem, cutting its power, restarting the Mac(s), waiting thirty seconds or so and then plugging everything back in before starting the Mac(s) back up? :)

Hope that was a little less mad... :D

LOL--yeah did that too:)

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Go into activity monitor and then load a page in Safari. How much of the CPU is Safari taking up?

As I found this info:

Slow performance, launches solved by deleting icons folder For most users, Safari 1.3 (included with Mac OS X 10.3.9) provides a noticeable page rendering speed boost.

Some users, however, are experiencing slower performance after applying the update.

In some cases, performance problems can be solved by deleting Icons folder located at ~/Library/Safari/Icons. Note that this procedure will eliminate any favicons (the small logos that appear in Safari's URL entry field for some Web sites) stored in cache.

MacFixIt reader Rick Zerman writes:

"Safari would take 30 or so bounces to load (about 45 seconds) and then run exceedingly slow. Running top -u in a terminal window showed that that Safari process would be using up to 135% of the CPU (dual processor Mac) even to load simple web pages.

"The solution was to go to /[username]/Library/Safari folder and delete the Icons folder."

jrlion2002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
DeSnousa said:
Go into activity monitor and then load a page in Safari. How much of the CPU is Safari taking up?

As I found this info:

Hi deSnousa: First of all, thank you so much for your help..Im about ready to bang my head against ht monitor:)

The % says 0.00-0.07 ; the threads 7; and real memory 68.84

jrlion2002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
Desnousa:

Im wondering if it might be somethingwith my internet setting? As it is doing the same thing with Firefox and Explorer? Just a thought?

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
jrlion2002 said:
Hi deSnousa: First of all, thank you so much for your help..Im about ready to bang my head against ht monitor:)

The % says 0.00-0.07 ; the threads 7; and real memory 68.84

Well that is a normal speed. I completly stumped on this :confused:

Just delete the icons folder, but leave it in the trash can. Restart the computer and see if Safari is faster. If not you can return the icon folder back to its original location from the trash :)

Edit: When downloading from the net is your connection speed what it should be.
Edit 2: Are you behind an Airport.

jrlion2002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
DeSnousa said:
Well that is a normal speed. I completly stumped on this :confused:

Just delete the icons folder, but leave it in the trash can. Restart the computer and see if Safari is faster. If not you can return the icon folder back to its original location from the trash :)

Edit: When downloading from the net is your connection speed what it should be.
Edit 2: Are you behind an Airport.

Yeah its all normal, connection speed from isp is fine.

Case in example, when I come into this website since I just restarted. It took 15-20 seconds to get into the front page of site...but when im in the site..I can click through all different sub-categories/topics without any delay.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Check your DNS server settings - get the ip addresses of your isp's DNS servers from their tech support web page and then go to System Prefernces > Network. Choose 'Show - **********' at the top of the dialog box, then type the numbers in the DNS Servers box lower down.

******** = Airport (if you're using Airport), or Ethernet (if you're on ethernet) etc etc.

jrlion2002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
crackrock said:
I've had that problem with the EXACT same computer. My ethernet card was bad, swap it out with a new one and you'll be ok.

Hi Crackrock: Im pretty sure its not the card since it is happening on 2 machines and on pc its fine..it only happened when I updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.