Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zehcnas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
Hello, i would greatly appreciate it if anyone can help me with this problem(s) that iam facing with a mac pro 1,1 (upgraded to 2,1). ** Sorry for the long post, but i would greatlt appreciate any feedback. THANKYOU*

I received a mac pro 1,1 from a friend a mine with 10.7, nvidia 7300 gt and around 5 gb of ram. i decided to mac this a project system and make it run a much newer operating system. I would have to admit iam still new in the world of macs, but iam been trying to learn along the way. I upgraded the unit with 2 xeon x5365 and i also upgraded to 32 gb of ram. I then decided to upgraded the gpu to a xfx 5770 HD-577A-ZNFC pc card. I knew that some cards theres no boot screen, i so waited for a long time and no screen showed up. i connected it with dvi- hdmi connection and hdmi and no signal. Tv does pick up the ports being used but no signal. I then decided to flash the card to have mac bios, i installed it back and i get a boot screen and it loaded to 10.7. however i would get a flickering screen/black bars for a few seconds before login screen and after login screen. I had previously tested the card on my old pc and it worked, so i dont think its the card i hope. after researching, i decided to upgraded to EL capitan. After installing el capitan and changing the boot.efi, i see the loading apple loading screen, but the bar stops half way and stays like that. i tried reinstalling el capitan several times and same issue. I got tired, and decided to connect the 7300 back to see if something happens, well it loaded the whole bar. however, its doing the same flickering/black bars for a second before and after login screen. I also notice that the launch pad lags alot and when i put a video in full screen. i suppose that anything in fullscreen lags, because it looks fine in the desktop. I tried using a power color hd 7750 with the 7300 and i see the boot screen from the 7300, but the bars also stays stuck in the middle with the 7750. Sorry, i made this post in a hurry but i can answer any questions. i will upload some diagnostic files i found.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    259.3 KB · Views: 653

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Hey -

I don't have a fix for you...just wanted to say that you are in uncharted waters for the vast majority of Mac users. Very few are going to be flashing and installing non-Mac GPUs. Mostly because a very small percentage of Macs can even swap GPUs (iMacs, laptops, etc.), but also because most Mac Pro users are professionals that have work to do, and rarely want a computer project.

Having said that, I have done flashed cards, but it has been a decade, so no real help. It has always been tricky, and often with caveats, such as having boot screen glitches and not waking from sleep. Point is....unless you run across a specific card for your specific model machine, flashed with just the right ROM, it can be dicey. Having two GPUs may increase the variables.

Good luck, post back if you figure it out. Somebody else may want to go the same route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.