Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
targetdisk mode

dude an archive and reinstall will just install over the top of ur current slow system so ):

if u can get access to any other mac connect ur pb to it using a firewire cable , press T as that mac boots up and make sure your pb is on as well as your chosen mac that will boot normally and u will see ur pb hard disk on the destop copy whatever you need then wipe ur pb hardisk and start a fresh install ok

that should sort it
failing that it looks like ur hardrive is failing
fingers cross its not !!!!

Low

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
Gokhan said:
dude an archive and reinstall will just install over the top of ur current slow system so ):

if u can get access to any other mac connect ur pb to it using a firewire cable , press T as that mac boots up and make sure your pb is on as well as your chosen mac that will boot normally and u will see ur pb hard disk on the destop copy whatever you need then wipe ur pb hardisk and start a fresh install ok

that should sort it
failing that it looks like ur hardrive is failing
fingers cross its not !!!!

its doing it again..i may have to invest in other means..dunno if that will be another mac product.

Low

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
Mechcozmo said:
That occurred to me as I read this thread. It sounds as if you have done everything possible to your 'book without actually sending in to Apple.

When you open Disk Utility and click on your hard drive, what does it show as the S.M.A.R.T. status? The disk is the one on top, volumes are below and indented. It shows you the S.M.A.R.T. status in the bottom of Disk Utility.

If that is failing... that ain't good. It means that you should be calling in AppleCare. Heck, at this point, you should do that anyway.

i no longer have applecare...what is the projected costs if i have to send something in...from the phone call to all that jazz?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.