Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ananuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2015
I have a macbook pro a1150 with a new hdd. I set the partition to guid then started install of snow retail ver. 10.6.3. got halfway through install and failed. restarted and now just kicks out the disk and sits there ? flashing. and help is great. ty

Last edited by a moderator:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I have a macbook pro a1150 with a new hdd. I set the partition to guid then started install of snow retail ver. 10.6.3. got halfway through install and failed. restarted and now just kicks out the disk and sits there ? flashing. and help is great. ty

Try to boot to the Snow Leopard installer again. Go into Disk Utility and erase and partition the hard drive again, then start the install again.

ananuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2015
I finally got it to start the install again and it got about 90 percent done then failed again with the error "the installer can't extract files from the package for
EPSON_DriverCommon059. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

----------

It says to restart and try installing again...should I? Or try repairing it through the disk utility since it was so close to done?I

----------

tried the disc repair said it couldn't unmount the disk so that failed. went in to restore and is asking for an image and can use the mobileme but not sure how that works, can also view the install disc.

----------

Or should I try creating two partitions installing on one if it fails then use the second to repair and unmount the first?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I think that the DVD drive may not be reading the DVD reliably.
Make sure that the surface of the DVD is clean, and no visible scratches.
Use a "can-o-air" on the DVD drive.
You can also try a cleaning DVD (the kind with the little brushes imbedded in the disk)
Or, your MacBook Pro is at least 8 years old, and an original DVD drive may just not read the disk very well, and needs replacing. With that in mind, you could then try an external DVD drive for the install.

Another method (which is what I would do) is to get an 8GB USB flash drive. Erase it, and make sure it is formatted as a GUID volume.
While in Disk Utility, click the USB drive, and choose the Restore tab.
Put your DVD in the drive, then drag the drive to the Source line in that Restore window.
Drag your USB flash drive to the Destination line.
Click Restore. That will take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes to complete.
The flash drive then will be a bootable Snow Leopard installer, allowing you to install without worrying about whether the drive will read all the installer files without error.
If the Restore won't complete without an error, then make the installer USB drive on a different Mac that will read the DVD completely.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
You were right...bad rom...ty so much!

You might also wanna try installing SL from the disc without much of the baggage like the Printer Drivers, Languages, etc... Lesser things to install, lesser chances it will run into problems. You can install printer drivers later when you plug in your printer, it will prompt for an updated driver from Apple servers...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.