Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoronaOrange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Bought my Mam a new iPad (5th Gen, A1822, 2017) and wanted to transfer all her photos (thousands of photos, nearly 9 GB) to it from an iPad 2 (A1396, 2011).

Problem:
Neither restoring from a current Backup via iTunes (Windows10 Laptop) nor extracting photos with an additional software show and transfer all of her photos.
the old iPad is on iOS 9.3.5 and does not seem to feature AirDrop, can't share via Bluetooth either

I think the incomplete showing/transferring folders were "hardcoded" from a old iTunes backup sync, that do longer exists. Neither does the original source of the photos unfortunately.

If I wanna choose iCloud sync it says that iTunes synced photos (2'338) will be deleted, as they are not supported with the iCloud photo library. However I have no where to see/backup or choose these files, so I can't do that as they are completely gone otherwise.

OneDrive is not supported below iOS 10.0, so that's not an option as well.

I'd appreciate any help I can get!

Last edited:

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Hmmm, I wonder if the utility 'iMazing' would be able to save your bacon here:

http://www.imazing.com/

(although, I just noticed that you're on Windows, and iMazing is a Mac app, hmm)

You might also be able to get Dropbox to transfer a copy of your photos up to the cloud using these instructions:

http://osxdaily.com/2013/08/31/back-up-iphone-photos-automatically-dropbox/

(It's not clear whether this procedure would only apply to newly created photos, or whether it will transfer everything in your Photos library). Anyway, once you have the photos in your Dropbox you can then access them from your computer using the Dropbox app on your computer or a web browser.

Reactions: CoronaOrange

CoronaOrange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Thank you very much @flaubert!

I was able to install the Dropbox app on the IOS 9.3.5 and then upload all the photos to the cloud. Took me a while tough!

When I wanted to download them to the new iPad and save them to the iOS photos camera roll another challenge appeared...

I would have had to do it one image by one image, as the Dropbox App does not have or allow this feature.
You can only save them within the Dropbox App, if you don't want to manually save each individual photo to the camera roll...:rolleyes::mad:

In the end I was able to download Dropbox ZIP files to my Win10 Laptop, extract them, sync it with my iPhone and AirDrop them to her iPad without the photos being (hard-coded synced from iTunes)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.