Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rk44722

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
Hi all,

I have searched google, dosdude and where ever possible online but to no solution so any help would be great.

I have recently acquired Mac Pro 5.1, which has El Capitan 10.11.6 as an OS. I am trying to upgrade the OS to High Sierra but having no luck.

I keep getting the High Sierra screen asking me to shut down and perform the power hold button routine, it boots up and then goes to the same screen.

My Boot rom version is : MP51.007F.B03
SMC version : 1.39f11

It is asking me to update firmware but doesn't do anything. The computer used to have GTX 980 ti classified model which seems to works fine. But I have also purchased ATI HD 5770 from eBay just for the update. So have taken the 980 ti out and replaced this with 5770 for installation. (is there a way to check if 5770 is Mac EFI based), as I don't know about it and neither is the person who I bought it from. I don't have access to another machine with PCIe slot to flash it either.

Can anyone please advise what is wrong and if there is any step by step instructions to update this would be appreciated bear in mind it is my first Mac for over 20yrs.

This is not flashed or anything, it is Mid 2012, 3.2 GHz version.

Thanks and regards
Rahul

Last edited:

rk44722

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
Do you have any PCIe cards besides the GPU? Remove them?

Do you have any PCIe cards besides the GPU? Remove them?
I don't have any other cards installed. Just only the graphics card 5770.

Anyways I have managed to do it but I had to do it in sequence, i.e. I can't install High Sierra directly from El Capitan, so I installed Sierra first, and it worked like a charm, then after that I was able to install without any problem High Sierra, no trouble whatsoever.

However, now I have come to another issue I'm afraid.

I installed the GTX 980ti back into the system, unfortunately my NVidia CUDA don't recognise it. CUDA Driver version : 418.163 No GPU Detected.

I have High Sierra 10.13.6 and NVidia Web Driver : 387.10.10.10.40.140 (up to date)

Every time I reboot, the default driver is Defaul MacOS Graphics Driver, I change this to NVidia and it ask me to reboot, and on reboot same thing.

So it seems bit glitchy and is not that smooth, I get pixels etc. ghosting or curser trail even just browing in Safari.

Any solution to that.

Thanks

rk44722

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2021
Does boot args and nvram have the Nvidia options?

Not sure how to check that, can you advice on how do I do it, Thanks.

I have created another post with little more detail about what I'm facing now. It would be great help if I can find a solution, have few sleepless nights and spending too much time trying to find a solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.