Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compaintballer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Ok so heres the deal.

I bought an ausome black macbook no ebay and i love it. It arived in perfect condition and basically new. The batter cycle count is in its 40s.

The thing is that it did not come with any iLife apps and its shuld have shuld it of?

It does have leapord so is there anyway i could get these apps?

It is still under warranty.

thanks!!!

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Did it come with grey install discs? If so, iLife should be on there.
If you only got a Leopard disc with an X on the front and a purple background, I'd contact the seller.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
i did not recieve any discs.
if he doesnt send them to me could i use a friends?

He should send you them. At least the grey install discs. If you have to re-install the OS you're a bit screwed.

You could use a friend's disc if they have the same model MacBook as you.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
It was probably a Tiger machine that was upgraded to Leopard. Which means they used the retail box. So no iLife apps.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Wow 40 Cycle Count...

for a brand new MB??? It's probably new to you, but that's a rather high cycle count. I had a MB 2.16GHz for 6 months and it had a 20 cycle count. It sounds like you got a BlackBook 2.2GHz with 160GB HDD, then there should be the grey install disks, the iLife '06 and iWorks '06 or they should be on the HD unless the original owner "cleared" the HD before shipping. If it's the newer BlackBook 2.4 Penryn 250GB you would only receive the grey install disks, and Leopard would already be installed. Post your specs PLEASE. Also check your eBay posting to determine if it was being sold "as is" or if the install disks were included. :confused:

compaintballer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
for a brand new MB??? It's probably new to you, but that's a rather high cycle count. I had a MB 2.16GHz for 6 months and it had a 20 cycle count. It sounds like you got a BlackBook 2.2GHz with 160GB HDD, then there should be the grey install disks, the iLife '06 and iWorks '06 or they should be on the HD unless the original owner "cleared" the HD before shipping. If it's the newer BlackBook 2.4 Penryn 250GB you would only receive the grey install disks, and Leopard would already be installed. Post your specs PLEASE. :confused:

yes you are right it is a 160 gb hard drive, 2.2 ghz with 2 gigs of ram but it was 1 gig stock i believe.

my friend said that he probobly whiped the hard drive before sending it to me wich eliminated ilife.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Because, as stated before, iLife does not come on the Retail Panther or Tiger disks. So you would have to buy iLife and Panther as 2 separate purchases. You cannot purchase the grey bundled disks separately. You could try whining and begging to Apple for a replacement set.

Your seller ripped you off. The bundled disks are part and parcel of the machine. Maybe they sold them separately on eBay, which would be piracy, in effect. Your other alternative is to find someone else who is selling the bundled disks for that exact same model on eBay.

compaintballer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Because, as stated before, iLife does not come on the Retail Panther or Tiger disks. So you would have to buy iLife and Panther as 2 separate purchases. You cannot purchase the grey bundled disks separately. You could try whining and begging to Apple for a replacement set.

Your seller ripped you off. The bundled disks are part and parcel of the machine. Maybe they sold them separately on eBay, which would be piracy, in effect. Your other alternative is to find someone else who is selling the bundled disks for that exact same model on eBay.

sorry if i sound like a "nube" but im new at this lol.

I am running leapord so why would i get panther?

And i sent the seller a message he has been very nice and for my amaxing laptop i only paid 960 so i wouldnt say i got ripped off.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
sorry if i sound like a "nube" but im new at this lol.

I am running leapord so why would i get panther?

And i sent the seller a message he has been very nice and for my amaxing laptop i only paid 960 so i wouldnt say i got ripped off.

You didn't get rip off, but the grey install disks are part of the machine purchase so they should be included.

I have no idea why CanadaRAM is talking about Panther?:confused:

compaintballer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
yea i dont know what that was all about either haha

so if i get the grey install disks i will get ilife and i will stay in leapord?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
yea i dont know what that was all about either haha

so if i get the grey install disks i will get ilife and i will stay in leapord?

It's likely that the install discs that came with your MacBook were for Tiger and would've had the previous version of iLife on them (06). If you can get them off the seller, you can install iLife like you would install any other application.

If you want the latest iLife (08), you'll have to buy a retail copy ($79).

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
yes you are right it is a 160 gb hard drive, 2.2 ghz with 2 gigs of ram but it was 1 gig stock i believe.

my friend said that he probobly whiped the hard drive before sending it to me wich eliminated ilife.

did you have a time machine backup by chance? I bought my mbp used and it had no ilife but when I reinstalled everything with time machine my ilife apps magically appeared!!!:cool:

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
did you have a time machine backup by chance? I bought my mbp used and it had no ilife but when I reinstalled everything with time machine my ilife apps magically appeared!!!:cool:

Well, if your backup was from another machine that had iLife installed, of course iLife would be there.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
You can contact Apple...

yes i love it thanks!
here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250227194089&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=015

why would i have to purchase 2 new sets?

and request the (2) Mac OS X install disks, just not sure how much it will cost, but they can ship right to your door. Just make sure that you give them the specs on your BlackBook 2.2GHz 160GB, and I heard the OS X install disks run about $17 plus tax, call Apple Tech Support 1-800-275-2273.

marold280

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2008
disc

hi, you need the discs, i had the same problem, i bought a white one. it had leopard installed on it, and it came with the tiger discs.
i asked the seller.
you have to put in the disc, boot up as if you were installing tiger, but, you have to click on customize, and you can download selected applications, which in mine and your case, is ilife!
another amazing thing i managed to do, my friend got a brand new one (bastard), with ilife 08. i got ilife 06 off the discs. i took mine over to his house, and we connected the two macbooks over the network.
i went into his applications folder, and actually dragged all the 08 ilife apps into my computer, and i had ilife 08! it was fantastic!
dont know if that will help or not !
cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.