Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnmmerritt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
I am a Mac user. My neighbor needs to justify a Mac vs a PC for grahics and video. The Mac vs PC justification I can handle. But what I can't answer beyond that is why the Mac is so much better than the PC once you are using Final Cut Pro, which I have never used. Can someone ive me some big words to use?

johnmmerritt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
Thanks But.....

leftbanke7 said:
Here are two more: Industry Standard...as in
Macintoshes are the industry standard computer in video, audio and design fields.

But why are they the industry standard, why not just but competing PC software and do your thing.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
First, I'd argue that the accepted fact that they are the industry standard is, in and of itself, a good justification when you're talking about buying a computer for use primarily with one app (or a related suite)... your product is more likely to conform to standards that those in the industry will expect.

Second, since they are the industry standard but are clearly not the cheapest way to go, one would have to assume that other companies have done the cost/benefit justification themselves and have arrived at the conclusion that Macs were, overall, a better purchase.

Third, even outside the industry, the Macintosh - both before and especially now with OS X - appeals to the artistic and graphics professional (and amateur) due to the way that the OS works with you, merging the use of all your applications and the operating system functions, as opposed to Windows, which merely, at best, doesn't get in your way as you work in a given app.

I use Windows systems every day at work, and I use Macs every day at home. I'm a software engineer, so there's a pronounced PC bias in the software tools available, and I still find the Mac easier to use (and, for some reason, I feel more inspired, creative, and imaginative while using Macs). I believe that productivity on a Mac in a field where they are the standard could only be even better (vs using a PC) than it is for me.

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
london
Not to play the devil's advocate but...I have used macs and pcs for several years- for whatever reason I've always had a PC at home and generally used macs in the workplace for design and video stuff (I also have an ibook laptop). I love using final cut on a mac with a cinema display, but Avid Express is available on both platforms now and lest we forget, Final Cut was (and continues to be) based on the Avid system.

As time goes on there are less and less practical differences between the two systems- i can't remember the last time I had a file that would not open and work fine on both machines, and these days most periferals work fine on both too. I watch mac/pc debates with interest and more often than not the only real stumbling block is snobbery from Mac users ;)

ammon

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2005
Colorado
londonweb said:
Avid Express is available on both platforms now

This is true. However, after using both Avid Xpress Pro and Final Cut Pro, I would choose FCP any day. Back before I had enough $$ to get a Mac I used Xpress Pro as my only editing software. It worked very well.

Avid is a great piece of software, but Final Cut Pro is much more capable. When it comes to compositioning, titling and other features, Avid just doesn't cut it. With Boris Red it came close, but it wasn't as easy to use.

The there is the whole other issue of using Windows vs OS X. No comparison there!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.