Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carter_B14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2021
I’m not sure what to do in this situation. I updated to BigSur Thursday night and Friday morning I opened my laptop to use it and it said there was an issue with downloading the software. Now my laptop has been stuck at this screen with a continuous loading icon with no progression. Suggestions?

Attachments

• 588A8349-DA1A-487E-9F79-252E8D1F3D70.jpeg
    588A8349-DA1A-487E-9F79-252E8D1F3D70.jpeg
    304.8 KB · Views: 178

Carter_B14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2021
Just restarted my Mac, now it seems like it’s trying to restart the download.. wish me luck
Got stuck on “less than a minute remaining” for about 25 minutes and then now this just happened

Attachments

• EAD34F1E-D69A-495E-93FA-BBE8B9A84564.jpeg
    EAD34F1E-D69A-495E-93FA-BBE8B9A84564.jpeg
    385.8 KB · Views: 121

Jan2300

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2021
This is absurd. Apple had 2 months to fix this update due to so many people have the same issue. How long has your MacBook been unusable?
2 days now, since i did the update. My macbook did tell me it was low on disk space but it was by no means a warning and I could just continue updating. Now it’s in a loop. I’m a small business owner so it has quite an impact if I cant fix this before monday. I have 2 solutions left (i already tried like 8)
- delete big files via terminal, hoping the update will be able to complete after reboot.
- hook it up to another pc and try to get into the disk and make room.

how about you

Carter_B14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2021
2 days now, since i did the update. My macbook did tell me it was low on disk space but it was by no means a warning and I could just continue updating. Now it’s in a loop. I’m a small business owner so it has quite an impact if I cant fix this before monday. I have 2 solutions left (i already tried like 8)
- delete big files via terminal, hoping the update will be able to complete after reboot.
- hook it up to another pc and try to get into the disk and make room.

how about you
I tried updating Thursday night, everything looked normal (had no warnings about storage at all) and by the time it looked finished it was time for me to go to bed. Friday morning I go into work and it says the update failed or something along those lines and I’ve been in the same loop as you have been since.

Carter_B14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2021
Try booting into Recovery mode. The should get you back up and running.

Update: spent 2 hours on the phone with Apple support and they couldn’t help get control of my Mac, so I had to erase my Mac.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Update: spent 2 hours on the phone with Apple support and they couldn’t help get control of my Mac, so I had to erase my Mac.
That is two hours you will never get back. lol At least you tried. Everything running as it should now? I highly suggest you look at purchasing an app called Carbon Copy Cloner. It would have had you back up in running in less than an hour with all your data like it is before you tried the download.

Carter_B14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2021
That is two hours you will never get back. lol At least you tried. Everything running as it should now? I highly suggest you look at purchasing an app called Carbon Copy Cloner. It would have had you back up in running in less than an hour with all your data like it is before you tried the download.
Yep, everything’s getting back to normal I’m now downloading everything back onto my computer. Really disappointed how Apple couldn’t do anything to help nor could tell me what went wrong. From here on out I’m going to make sure to back up my info from time to time. Thanks for all your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.