Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
I recently picked up a personal laserwriter 320 for 10 bucks which i thought was the perfect solution for being a poor college student who had to write alot of papers. i did a test page and the toner is in good order but im baffled by the localtalk port. the laserwrite only has a localtalk port and obviously my brand new powerbook lacks this port. i looked onto the internet for adapters and i mostly found ethernet adapters that cost a ridiculous 90 dollars or so. at the old computer store where i bought the laserwriter i found a 10 year old adapter that plugs into the local talk port on the back of the laserwriter and then the cord turns into two phone jacks. i pluged in a phone cord to my powerbook and hoped something would come up on the screen but nothing happened soooo i need to know what to do? help!!@?!??!

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
jamesi said:
I recently picked up a personal laserwriter 320 for 10 bucks which i thought was the perfect solution for being a poor college student who had to write alot of papers. i did a test page and the toner is in good order but im baffled by the localtalk port. the laserwrite only has a localtalk port and obviously my brand new powerbook lacks this port. i looked onto the internet for adapters and i mostly found ethernet adapters that cost a ridiculous 90 dollars or so. at the old computer store where i bought the laserwriter i found a 10 year old adapter that plugs into the local talk port on the back of the laserwriter and then the cord turns into two phone jacks. i pluged in a phone cord to my powerbook and hoped something would come up on the screen but nothing happened soooo i need to know what to do? help!!@?!??!

you need an adaptor.....a Farallon iPrint LT adaptor.. it converts the phone cord plug thing into ethernet...

here is one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Farallon-EtherM...ryZ80061QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just to warn you, your printer is not supported in OS X.. you would need to run in classic mode.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
thanks alot but im still thinking "ahhh man not cool" b/c i dont know how to run in classic and def. dont think its worth it to switch around like that. i wish there was support for it. thanks none the less

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Is it a Personal Laserwriter 320? If so, it may still work with OS X. The 320 uses the PostScript language which works with some printers. Google for more information.

I have a 300, which uses QuickDraw. Mine will not work with OS X.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
You are right! I checked OS X Printer Discriptions files and the 320 is supported! I guess I got mixed up(I have a PLW 300 quickdraw also) so the printer will work with OS X... However, you woud still need the adaptor I mentioned in my other post..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.