Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
So for my Managerial Communications class we had to pick a company for the semester, so naturally i chose apple. My Prof. wants us to find info on it. (address, phone, mission statement bla bla bla,) One of the things she wants us to find out is "Description of Corporate values and/or culture". Does it say it in the mission statement....
Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital music revolution with its iPod portable music players and iTunes online store
What would it be? Making a kickass computer for everyone and a great mp3 player?

Also would you say apple is a Flat or tall organization?
Thanks in advance

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
So for my Managerial Communications class we had to pick a company for the semester, so naturally i chose apple. My Prof. wants us to find info on it. (address, phone, mission statement bla bla bla,) One of the things she wants us to find out is "Description of Corporate values and/or culture". Does it say it in the mission statement....
What would it be? Making a kickass computer for everyone and a great mp3 player?
Thanks in advance

Well first, I cannot imagine any professor actually asking you to find the description of corporate values and/or culture without actually explaining to you what that means. In order to answer that question on your own you would need to know what that is and how to identify it. However, since you're asking here I am guessing that you do not.

Based on your quote "Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital music revolution with its iPod portable music players and iTunes online store"

The basic premise of the MS (mission statement) here is not the first sentence but more so everything after they say what they have done..."Today, Apple continues..."
The fact is that if this this their MS someone should be fired.
While it is ok for Apple to say that they continue to lead...that is well and good but they don't exactly say they're intention is to continue to lead. This whole MS kind of makes me ill now that I really read it.

Anyway that's not the whole point here. Does this MS give you a "Description of Corporate values and/or culture". In a word, not really. BUt if you really worked at it you could argue their value/culture.

Their values are to be revolutionary their culture is to lead. They're revolutionary because they lead.

There are two types of companies, those that have the first mover advantage (Microsoft) and those that show up 2nd. What is the benefit of being a follower? Find the f-ups with the first mover people and fix them, output a product that is better and considered more innovative (and functional) and you have Apple.

While I believe that finding what Apple's values and culture is purely interpretive of the MS because they do not outwardly say this, I also believe that Apple wants to be a leader of innovative products. Do not confuse that with being the first to move on a product. I could go on for days on the differences but I'll refrain so that you can continue to research and learn on your own. ;)

I will say this though, if you picked Apple it was not because you thought the business model was so damn interesting that you found them to be a company worth studying. You picked Apple for simpler reasons such as you like what they do and you like how they do it. That is OK, but know this. If you as a user of Apple's products cannot interpret their values on your own then I think you should read more about them. The only reason for that is if I had to say what I thought they valued I would say this (feel free to lift this off this reply and paste into your paper):
Apple values quality, employees who succeed, standards, innovation, vision, and most likely based on Steve Jobs himself...good management.
Culture comes from those values. Their culture is to do it right and do it well but in the end have fun doing it because Apple employees are in fact Apple customers. That would be my impression, call it right or wrong but it is a step in the best direction I can give. ;)

Also would you say apple is a Flat or tall organization?
You may think I sound like a jerk for saying this, but first I want to know if you understand what it means to be a flat or tall organization. If you know this then I think the answer is somewhat clear. However, keep in mind this question is tricky. If you say flat then you need to reflect back on the mission, vision, and values of the company. If you say tall then you need to be certain that is expressed in your mission, vision and values. That should have given you enough of a hint for you to answer your own question. I would venture to guess if your professor is really trying to get you to understand this chosen company of yours then he/she would have already had it in their mind to have you find the correlation between the mission, vision, and values of the company and your assessment of the tall/flat company deal.

Good luck on your paper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.