Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuiteGrumpy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
South England
I'm really REALLY bored of waiting for ITV to launch an 'ITV Hub' app for the Apple TV 4 in the U.K. Their refusal to do so seems obstinate at this point.

To really go all in with an internet driven 'get All my TV through Apple TV' approach it is essential that ITV and Channel 4 release apps that allow live TV and catch up viewing. They have both released apps for Amazon Fire TV but for some reason they are holding out from Apple TV. Is it money related? Is it about retaining access to usage data for the customers using their service? Are they just Apple haters?!

Whatever the reason, this is a real pain for lots of British Apple TV fans and undoubtedly reduces the usefulness of Apple TV in the U.K. So I thought that it'd be great to put the pressure on ITV a bit in the hopes this pushes them along.

If you're game, how about going to this link: https://itvhub.uservoice.com/forums/247805-the-itv-hub/suggestions/10898274-itv-hub-for-tv-app-store and saying your piece and adding to the vote count that gets the thread noticed.

Probably a futile gesture but if it irritates them a bit I'll find that therapeutic!

Reactions: orbital~debris

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
I find it hilarious ITV purposely stopped Airplay on iPhones, now when you airplay you just get audio, funnily enough you do get to view adverts!

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
There's been many threads about this already, and that ITV link has been going for nearly two years and ITV still haven't acted. It's obviously money related, and another few votes on their site isn't going to change that.

You can watch all the freeview channels on the TV Player btw, just not catch up (I have no idea what people actually watch on that channel though)

QuiteGrumpy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
South England
It is surely a question of when, not if, ITV will release an app, (if not, Apple will have failed in their bid to enable cord cutters and make TV all about apps)... so surely every little helps to tip ITV over the inevitable edge!

Also, I find it kinda therapeutic to taunt them... "stubborn gits, give me what I want!"

To be honest, I generally could live without ITV, but my partner couldn't and I'm bored of trying to justify the Apple TV without ITV Hub and All 4, as it is essentially incomplete as a full TV replacement without those providers.

Keep pestering I say. We'll wear them down with persistence in the end...

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
There's definitely some money floating around somewhere that is stopping them releasing an App for TvOS. Remeber, that for a couple of years the ITV app was exclusive to Samsung Smart TVs before eventually rolling out to other brands. I think the fact that ITV have disabled AirPlay in the last year suggests that they are being paid off by someone to prevent their App appearing. My educated guess is that Sky and/or Amazon are paying out some decent cash to make sure that the Apple users can't view ITV catch-up on their TVs which would lead people to buy Fire Stick/TVs or Sky Now/Roku boxes. Really, if Apple is interested at all in getting the AppleTV into the UK market, they need to throw some cash at ITV, Channel 4 and UKTV (and maybe Channel 5) to get the apps out.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
There's definitely some money floating around somewhere that is stopping them releasing an App for TvOS. Remeber, that for a couple of years the ITV app was exclusive to Samsung Smart TVs before eventually rolling out to other brands. I think the fact that ITV have disabled AirPlay in the last year suggests that they are being paid off by someone to prevent their App appearing. My educated guess is that Sky and/or Amazon are paying out some decent cash to make sure that the Apple users can't view ITV catch-up on their TVs which would lead people to buy Fire Stick/TVs or Sky Now/Roku boxes. Really, if Apple is interested at all in getting the AppleTV into the UK market, they need to throw some cash at ITV, Channel 4 and UKTV (and maybe Channel 5) to get the apps out.

So you think there is a payoff that a British company wants before they allow it? Is that this you think about business?

Last edited:

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
So you think there is a payoff that a British company wants before they allow it? Is that his you think about business?

I think they've already had a payoff from someone. This is quite common and often termed as an 'exclusivity deal' to make it sound better. As I mentioned above, I'm guessing someone has paid ITV and C4 for a period whereby they do not produce a TVOS app.

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
I get the various ITV channels via the TVPlayer app, but it would be nice to get a native app and access to a library of programming.

I'm a British TV lover in the US living my dream at the moment. I have access to nearly all UK live channels, while simultaneously still having access to all of my US content...all with my Apple TV 4's. Just a simple smart DNS. Never thought it would be so simple.

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
I don't watch TV "live" any more. Since ITV stopped me from Airplaying from my phone to my ATV I haven't watched anything at all on ITV, with the exception of Broadchurch, which my old Tivo picked up the series link for. Of course because that's recorded locally I can actually skip the ads on it.

Their loss.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
I get the various ITV channels via the TVPlayer app, but it would be nice to get a native app and access to a library of programming.

I'm a British TV lover in the US living my dream at the moment. I have access to nearly all UK live channels, while simultaneously still having access to all of my US content...all with my Apple TV 4's. Just a simple smart DNS. Never thought it would be so simple.

I do the opposite from the UK. Daughter lives in US, so using smart DNS and her cable subscription I get to see US shows :)

brandscill

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Under review for 2 years is just depressing at this point. Channel 4 and ITV have no interest, they see the market in the Fire TV.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Probably not sadly. In the US it looks like the major apps will be there later this year (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, VUDU) which may well drive sales a bit more, but in the UK I don't know what will enable a large take-up of the AppleTV to cause ITV and Channel 4 to actually get an app out. Sky seem to have abandoned Sky Now and we'll see how interested the BBC are when they update iPlayer to require BBC acount logins.

Richard28

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2016
Why not ditch the Apple TV and buy a fire tv? Sorted!

I've got one of the new fire tv sticks with Alexa and it is very fast and very good, and has all the UK content (except now tv).

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I run a Roku along side my Apple TV which gives me (my wife) all the catch up services. I'm completely content with Netflix these days and renting shows on iTunes. My usage isn't typical however.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
If it’s true and some boss/senior officials of a company has paid off ITV/C4 in order that they not to release a tvOS app, I’d like to wring that individual’s neck.

Apple needs to approach the UK networks themselves and get the apps made and on the platform.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Sky that has blocked this, if anyone has.

KevinRS

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2009
Bedfordshire, UK
If it’s true and some boss/senior officials of a company has paid off ITV/C4 in order that they not to release a tvOS app, I’d like to wring that individual’s neck.

Apple needs to approach the UK networks themselves and get the apps made and on the platform.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Sky that has blocked this, if anyone has.

It would be ironic if Sky had a hand in it given they've not bothered updating their awful Now TV app for the Apple TV 4. It would be nice to have all the UK catch up services on the Apple TV but it doesn't look at all likely, this is one reason I have a Fire Stick, they are all available on there.

I agree that that Apple should approach the UK networks but I don't know if they particularly care about the Apple TV outside America.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
It would be ironic if Sky had a hand in it given they've not bothered updating their awful Now TV app for the Apple TV 4. It would be nice to have all the UK catch up services on the Apple TV but it doesn't look at all likely, this is one reason I have a Fire Stick, they are all available on there.

I agree that that Apple should approach the UK networks but I don't know if they particularly care about the Apple TV outside America.
I imagine Sky see Apple as a major threat.

If they updated Now TV for tvOS 4, and ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 all released apps of the same calibre as iPlayer, there would be serious **** going down.

Add to this if the UK providers then tapped in to Live Tune In ... well then many many people would consider using Apple TV for all their TV viewing and not need things like Sky (I know I would!)

The irony is that if that happened, fewer would record shows and the advertising industry would improve thus improving programme output in theory, but hey ho. What can you do.

QuiteGrumpy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
South England

If they updated Now TV for tvOS 4, and ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 all released apps of the same calibre as iPlayer, there would be serious **** going down.

Add to this if the UK providers then tapped in to Live Tune In ... well then many many people would consider using Apple TV for all their TV viewing and not need things like Sky (I know I would!)

The irony is that if that happened, fewer would record shows and the advertising industry would improve thus improving programme output in theory, but hey ho. What can you do.

Ah, but this would be perfect. Live TV, all the catch up apps, Netflix and Amazon. With 4K films on iTunes and available via Netflix and Amazon. A perfect device. You certainly can see how this would be a threat to Sky. But surely it's not legal for Sky to pay off a company (e.g. ITV/C4) to inhibit the competitions chances?!

Keep pestering them I reckon... https://itvhub.uservoice.com/forums/247805-the-itv-hub

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
Ah, but this would be perfect. Live TV, all the catch up apps, Netflix and Amazon. With 4K films on iTunes and available via Netflix and Amazon. A perfect device. You certainly can see how this would be a threat to Sky. But surely it's not legal for Sky to pay off a company (e.g. ITV/C4) to inhibit the competitions chances?!
I doubt Rupert Murdoch cares what’s legal, or rather, I think he would do whatever it takes to find a way to stop (or rather, stall) something if it threatens his empire.

I see the UK situation with Apple TV being something like that. If ITV, 4 and 5 released apps for the Apple TV (and support for live tune in), they would essentially be competing with Sky and the choice of a one-time payment for a box, a Netflix/Amazon subscription vs £50-80 a month to Sky ... I think a lot of people would choose Apple’s option.

Sky no likey. Sky stoppy.

Edit: I believe on Sky with ITV, 4 and 5 catchup ‘download’ servive, there are no ads. Sky must pay these guys something on that basis, and I would not be surprised if there’s some form of “exclusivity clause” which prevents those networks launching on tvOS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017

I probably would as well if I could get more than about 6Mbps internet speeds :(

QuiteGrumpy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
South England
I doubt Rupert Murdoch cares what’s legal, or rather, I think he would do whatever it takes to find a way to stop (or rather, stall) something if it threatens his empire.

I see the UK situation with Apple TV being something like that. If ITV, 4 and 5 released apps for the Apple TV (and support for live tune in), they would essentially be competing with Sky and the choice of a one-time payment for a box, a Netflix/Amazon subscription vs £50-80 a month to Sky ... I think a lot of people would choose Apple’s option.

Sky no likey. Sky stoppy.

If this is the case, and I can see how it could be, it really should be a story on CNet or somewhere.

Hey media folks, have a look at this story...

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I would imagine that there's either no business case to do it or they are unable to strike a suitable deal with apple.

I don't care about ITV if I'm honest, I need apple to bring more worth watching content to the platform first..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.