Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitgeorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2017
Hi All,

My school installs an extra start up screen in the macbook and macbook air when you start the machine. the company logo comes up and you have to hit the enter key, then it goes into the regular start up user screen.
Where you THEN pick a user and login name.

HOW can I remove this first login screen?

I know I did it with the admin password/ user terminal a few years ago on my other laptop, but I forgot how to do it? Any advice please.

Also for the record, I bought this machine from the school used, but there is NO IT help in the building. It is bought as is.

Thanks, frustrated user
George ;-)

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
If you're getting that screen before you get to the login prompt, it could possibly be an EFI modification in the OS. If you've purchased the machine and it's your own to do what you please, it may be worth trying a wipe/reinstall of Sierra to see if the problem persists.

To do this, hold CMD + R on startup to boot into macOS Utilities. Then format the drive through Disk Utility and select Reinstall macOS, pointing it to the newly formatted volume.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

digitgeorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2017
That sounds like a good idea!
I'm just afraid if I do that and there is still an extra login screen I'll go nuts.

But I know I just had to delete a file in terminal mode, this was about two years ago when I did it last. I just dont know what the file is or how to do it anymore?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If the school modified the EFI partition in the system, then it's also possible they modified other areas as well.
If you don't know what other changes there might be in the system (and there certainly could be - make no mistake about that) - then it will be much simpler to just erase the drive, and reinstall macOS.
That way, you will be certain about what you have (and will probably be a lot more likely that your system will run trouble-free)
(just my opinion)

Reactions: Apple_Robert

digitgeorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2017
If the school modified the EFI partition in the system, then it's also possible they modified other areas as well.
If you don't know what other changes there might be in the system (and there certainly could be - make no mistake about that) - then it will be much simpler to just erase the drive, and reinstall macOS.
That way, you will be certain about what you have (and will probably be a lot more likely that your system will run trouble-free)
(just my opinion)

Right now I'm running system Yosemite 10.10.5 , this is a MacBook Air. How do I do that with no disks???
Thank You

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
There are no disks needed for any Mac since Lion (10.7.5)
You can boot to the Recovery system, by restarting while holding Command-R.
Choose Disk Utility, then erase the hard drive.
Quit Disk Utility, then choose Reinstall OS X. That will take 30 minutes, maybe up to an hour or more to finish a reinstall of Yosemite.
If you have previously purchased any Mac version from 10.7 to current, you can download that system again for free, through your App Store/Purchased tab.

digitgeorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2017
HELP!!!
I reformatted, but I dont see where it says to " Reinstall OS X " ????

Where is that???

There are no disks needed for any Mac since Lion (10.7.5)
You can boot to the Recovery system, by restarting while holding Command-R.
Choose Disk Utility, then erase the hard drive.
Quit Disk Utility, then choose Reinstall OS X. That will take 30 minutes, maybe up to an hour or more to finish a reinstall of Yosemite.
If you have previously purchased any Mac version from 10.7 to current, you can download that system again for free, through your App Store/Purchased tab.
[doublepost=1491097111][/doublepost]
If you're getting that screen before you get to the login prompt, it could possibly be an EFI modification in the OS. If you've purchased the machine and it's your own to do what you please, it may be worth trying a wipe/reinstall of Sierra to see if the problem persists.

To do this, hold CMD + R on startup to boot into macOS Utilities. Then format the drive through Disk Utility and select Reinstall macOS, pointing it to the newly formatted volume.

-------------
HELP!!!
I reformatted, but I dont see where it says to " Reinstall OS X " ????

Where is that???

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You have to Quit Disk Utility, so it goes back to the menu screen.
You will see the Reinstall OS X on that screen, same list where you chose Disk Utility.
You can also simply restart, holding Command-R again, so you return to the menu screen again.

Here's the important question of the day:
When you booted to the Recovery system (the Command-R) - did you see the normal Apple icon?
OR, did you see a spinning globe?
This will make a big difference which version of OS X is offered for the install.

digitgeorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2017
You have to Quit Disk Utility, so it goes back to the menu screen.
You will see the Reinstall OS X on that screen, same list where you chose Disk Utility.
You can also simply restart, holding Command-R again, so you return to the menu screen again.

Here's the important question of the day:
When you booted to the Recovery system (the Command-R) - did you see the normal Apple icon?
OR, did you see a spinning globe?
This will make a big difference which version of OS X is offered for the install.
------------------------------->

Well I have a problem!
I got the spinning globe, I log into my network, or atleast try and I keep getting an apple error -105 and it gets stuck and doesnt move. I've rebooted several times and get the same results.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What do you mean by "it gets stuck and doesn't move"
Do you mean that you can start the OS X download, and you get a progress bar for the OS X download? How far along does that get - Does it stop at the same time-remaining point each time? How long did you wait for it to finish? I would give up after 60 minutes with no progress.

I've not seen a recovery error -105.
Likely it is -1005 instead (?)
Anyway, there are several possible errors, which most often mean that your internet connection is not suitable for the connection and download from Apple's servers.
Here's a fairly recent thread that might help answer your questions.
If you have access to the router that you use, you should make sure that the security is set to WPA (Not WEP), or just try this connection with the router wireless security turned off, just to get your system download. Or, plug directly into the router with an ethernet cable, if available.

digitgeorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2017
What do you mean by "it gets stuck and doesn't move"
Do you mean that you can start the OS X download, and you get a progress bar for the OS X download? How far along does that get - Does it stop at the same time-remaining point each time? How long did you wait for it to finish? I would give up after 60 minutes with no progress.

I've not seen a recovery error -105.
Likely it is -1005 instead (?)
Anyway, there are several possible errors, which most often mean that your internet connection is not suitable for the connection and download from Apple's servers.
Here's a fairly recent thread that might help answer your questions.
If you have access to the router that you use, you should make sure that the security is set to WPA (Not WEP), or just try this connection with the router wireless security turned off, just to get your system download. Or, plug directly into the router with an ethernet cable, if available.

Hi, your right! It's a 1005F apple/support error.
It tries to connect to my router and then stops and gives me this error. And it does this over and over agin.
Also it's a mac book air so there is no Ethernet port to plug into.
Any ideas how I continue with install and connect to the internet???

Thank you

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The security on your router cannot be WEP, must be WPA for the connection to Apple's servers, or you could turn security OFF on your router.
You have to verify this. There's no way around this, if it is set for WEP, other than changing the router settings, or using a different router (or going to another location where you will then use a different internet connection.)
Can you turn OFF security on your router, just to see if that helps?

This should NOT affect your normal use of the internet. It's just that Apple's servers are quite limited in the types of internet connections that will work.

Another choice is to download the OS X installer that you want, using a different Mac, then use THAT downloaded installer to create a USB bootable installer on a flash drive. That has the advantage of keeping the installer, so you don't have to download it if you need to install/reinstall.

digitgeorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2017
The security on your router cannot be WEP, must be WPA for the connection to Apple's servers, or you could turn security OFF on your router.
You have to verify this. There's no way around this, if it is set for WEP, other than changing the router settings, or using a different router (or going to another location where you will then use a different internet connection.)
Can you turn OFF security on your router, just to see if that helps?

This should NOT affect your normal use of the internet. It's just that Apple's servers are quite limited in the types of internet connections that will work.

Another choice is to download the OS X installer that you want, using a different Mac, then use THAT downloaded installer to create a USB bootable installer on a flash drive. That has the advantage of keeping the installer, so you don't have to download it if you need to install/reinstall.

Do you have any idea on how I would change my Verizon router settings? Or should I just go to Starbucks and try it there?

Or for that matter where do I go to download and entire OS for a MacBook Air ???

Thank you very much.

digitgeorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2017
Ok, just wanted to say thank you all for the good ideas. I had to try it several times and reboot my router. But I finallygot it all working again.

Thanks again to everyone that helped,
But I would still like to know how to do it in terminal mode ;-)
Ok, just wanted to say thank you all for the good ideas. I had to try it several times and reboot my router. But I finallygot it all working again.

Thanks again to everyone that helped,
But I would still like to know how to do it in terminal mode ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.