Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackaiges

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2022
Please bear with me as I am extremely new to this.

I jailbroke through unc0ver. Recently I wanted to completely wipe my ipad pro 2018 clean. These are the steps i took:

1.Re-Jailbroke (after a while Altstore loses it certificate and cydia, unc0ver crashes) and re-installed unc0ver.
2. Turned everything off but rootfs - then proceeded with it.
3. DFU mode itunes factory reset.
4. DID NOT back up with itunes or iCloud but set up as new ipad.

*I did have icloud with backups but never manually back it up. I did backup my ipad to itunes through pc*

After loggin in with my AppleID I was shocked to find my safari history, reading lists were all still intact along with my photos - this is definitely some iCloud auto-sync mechanism.

Question:
Do i still have any remnants of Jailbreak files on my ipad? Apparently files are stored in var/preferences or something but idk what that is. Is there a way to clean your iCloud and Itunes of ALL Jailbreak data/files on pc? Does deleting all files/backups achieve this?

Thank you so much in advance.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Please bear with me as I am extremely new to this.

I jailbroke through unc0ver. Recently I wanted to completely wipe my ipad pro 2018 clean. These are the steps i took:

1.Re-Jailbroke (after a while Altstore loses it certificate and cydia, unc0ver crashes) and re-installed unc0ver.
2. Turned everything off but rootfs - then proceeded with it.
3. DFU mode itunes factory reset.
4. DID NOT back up with itunes or iCloud but set up as new ipad.

*I did have icloud with backups but never manually back it up. I did backup my ipad to itunes through pc*

After loggin in with my AppleID I was shocked to find my safari history, reading lists were all still intact along with my photos - this is definitely some iCloud auto-sync mechanism.

Question:
Do i still have any remnants of Jailbreak files on my ipad? Apparently files are stored in var/preferences or something but idk what that is. Is there a way to clean your iCloud and Itunes of ALL Jailbreak data/files on pc? Does deleting all files/backups achieve this?

Thank you so much in advance.

If you did a setup as NEW, then you definitely have no remnants/traces of any jailbreak on your iPad. Everything you mentioned (safari history, reading list, photos, etc.), are a coming from iCloud, as those can be synchronized via iCloud, as you've found out.

You're good to go here. If you want to be completely safe, after the pristine install you should back up your iPad again, and make that your baseline. That way, anything moving forward would be based off of the iPad after you set up as new, and not anything prior.

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.