Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ospecialko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
New to the Mac family just went from Windows to Mac and not familiar with removing apps from the Launchpad. I recently had installed Utorrent and managed to remove it the first time and can't remember how I did it the first time. Tried it again this time and can't seem to remove it. The first time I opened launchpad and I forgot what button I held down and clicked on utorrent but it opened it in a folder I forgot if the folder had all the launchpad apps in the folder or just all the utorrent files in the folder and from there I dragged the app to the trash and it worked. I believe the button I held down was either the Control, Option, or Comman button..I go to try holding all three of them down one at a time and it wouldn't open that folder no more it would just launch the app everytime. Can anyone tell me how it can be done?

ospecialko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Is there not a way like in windows how you can open a folder with everything on the desktop but do the same with the Launchpad open a folder with all the files on the launchpad and just drag them to the bin?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is there not a way like in windows how you can open a folder with everything on the desktop but do the same with the Launchpad open a folder with all the files on the launchpad and just drag them to the bin?
It doesn't work that way. The links I posted will show you how to remove apps.

LKB94

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2016
South Central Ohio
I'm not sure how everyone else got duplicate app icons, but I know mine came from updates that had to be restarted. My first instinct was to delete one of the two icons that showed up in launch pad. That led to both of the "twins" disappearing and me reinstalling and updating Pages. So doing that did work, in that I no longer had duplicate app icons. However since I didn't really like the thought of doing that four more times with the other "twin" apps I decided to experiment with some suggestions I'd read from other Mac users. First I moved them so they were side by side so that I would know immediately if anything I did changed the status quo, then I experimented with the 'option' key etcetera. None of that worked so I got to thinking about why deleting one of the "twins" could effect both and that maybe it was a software update integration problem. I took a stab in the dark (literally--it was night by that time) and decided to fall back on the basics--if all else fails, reboot. I did a complete system shut down, then waited a minute before hitting the power button and rebooting. When I went back to check, the "twins" were no more--a single app icon sat where two identical ones had been before. I don't know if this will help others, but it worked in my situation where a simple stalled update caused me to suddenly start seeing double. I guess sometimes less is more and a back to basics approach can be the simple solution you are looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.