Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kristindst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2020
Hi, new here but I have scorched the earth looking for a solution to this but have come up with nothing. I have a 2015 Macbook Pro running Mojave 10.14.6.

A couple of years ago, I installed Capto (screen recording software) but uninstalled it shortly after. Ever since then there has been an audio device present that I have not been able to remove. I went to the Audio MIDI setup and it's unremovable. I went to /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/HAL, nothing. I went to /System/Library/Extensions, nothing. I search my Mac for "capto", nothing. I even went through over 300 kernel extensions clicking 'get info' on each one for what felt like years to find some mention of the word CAPTO but alas, nothing.

I am truly losing my grip on sanity. If anyone has anything they think might work, please reply here.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 12.04.47.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 12.04.47.png
    211.8 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:

stev3n

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2010
I received an email about Capto being on sale so I decided to look into it and I found this MR forum post. I found the following instructions on GlobalDelight FAQ. I don't have Capto so I am unable to verify that these instructions will solve your issue.

How to uninstall Capto Device?

• For Mac App Store Version:
    In order to uninstall the audio component, which will be installed at the time of ‘Recording Computer audio’, you need to download an app via our website by clicking on ‘Uninstall Capto Device’. Next, run the same.
    1590257753832.png

For Website Version:
    In website version its kept inside the app. Simply, click on it to uninstall Capto Device.
    1590257753924.png
[automerge]1590258332[/automerge]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.