Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maya

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
I was experimenting about, and I accidently changed the ownership on my external HD to "admin" access. Now I have admin access and I turned on the external HD, however it does not show up in the Finder, it does however shop up in Disk Utility and I cannot figure a way to have the external HD mount on the desktop.

I am pretty sure it can be done via the Terminal however I am not sure and I do not want to erase the external HD either.

Any help would be welcomed, thank you. :)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Okay. In the terminal, use ls -l /Volumes and see if the drive is mounted. If yes, try:

sudo chown maya /Volumes/WhateverItsNameIs
sudo chmod 777 /Volumes/WhateverItsNameIs
sudo umount -f /Volumes/Whateveritis

Now go ahead and try mounting it again and see if you've got a readable drive that shows up in Finder and all. Tweak permissions to taste (but maybe keep access for yourself this time :p )

maya

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
iMeowbot said:
Okay. In the terminal, use ls -l /Volumes and see if the drive is mounted. If yes, try:

sudo chown maya /Volumes/WhateverItsNameIs
sudo chmod 777 /Volumes/WhateverItsNameIs
sudo umount -f /Volumes/Whateveritis

Now go ahead and try mounting it again and see if you've got a readable drive that shows up in Finder and all. Tweak permissions to taste (but maybe keep access for yourself this time :p )

I opened Disk Utility and it will mount in that application, however it will no mount to the desktop. :(

nichos

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
When I first read that, I thought he said his HD (not external) that would be a problem:)

Wouldnt the repair permissions be perfect for this?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
maya said:
I opened Disk Utility and it will mount in that application, however it will no mount to the desktop. :(
Okay, and is that still true after doing the chmod stuff in the terminal? Just checking. If you could paste in the results of that ls -l command showing the problem volume, that would help,

nichos said:
Wouldnt the repair permissions be perfect for this?
It wouldn't know what the ownership and permissions for an external drive should be.

maya

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
iMeowbot said:
Okay, and is that still true after doing the chmod stuff in the terminal? Just checking. If you could paste in the results of that ls -l command showing the problem volume, that would help,

It wouldn't know what the ownership and permissions for an external drive should be.

mayas-Computer:~ maya$ ls -l /Volumes
total 8
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 1 Nov 27 00:12 Macintosh HD -> /
d---r-xr-x 14 maya maya 578 Nov 8 23:08 Media Centre

That is what shows up with the first line executed.
The drive does mount in the terminal. :)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
maya said:
mayas-Computer:~ maya$ ls -l /Volumes
total 8
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 1 Nov 27 00:12 Macintosh HD -> /
d---r-xr-x 14 maya maya 578 Nov 8 23:08 Media Centre

That is what shows up with the first line executed.

Okay, so is Media Centre the drive with the problem? It looks like it's the one. The command that should work is

sudo chmod 777 '/Volumes/Media Centre'

(the single quotes are necessary for the full volume name to be passed along to the chmod command.)

To verify, ls -l /Volumes should now return

drwxrwxrwx 14 maya maya 578 Nov 8 23:08 Media Centre

At that point, unmounting and re-mounting (in Disk Utility if you like) should put things back to normal.

maya

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
iMeowbot said:
Okay, so is Media Centre the drive with the problem? It looks like it's the one. The command that should work is

sudo chmod 777 '/Volumes/Media Centre'

(the single quotes are necessary for the full volume name to be passed along to the chmod command.)

To verify, ls -l /Volumes should now return

drwxrwxrwx 14 maya maya 578 Nov 8 23:08 Media Centre

At that point, unmounting and re-mounting (in Disk Utility if you like) should put things back to normal.

Thank you so very much, that fixed the issue. Everything is back to normal once again. I thank you once again for all your help iMeowbot.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Yay, it works! But boo on Apple -- why doesn't the Finder check for situations like this and at least offer a little warning about the consequences?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.