Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brock5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2015
Hi everyone,

Forgive me if this was covered. I did google the topic, and saw a suggestion or two, but I didn't trust the source to be definitive.

I was one of the goons that signed up for the El Capitan beta. I foolishly did not install it on a separate partition or device. I am having nothing but trouble and frequent crashes of many apps. Basically I want out until it's ready for the market. I already un-enrolled from updates, but I fear that may have been a mistake, since now I am stuck in the middle somewhere.

My question is how do I go back to Yosemite? Do I really need to wipe the hard drive and re-install OSX Yosemite, and then do a restore from Time Machine? Or is there an easier way? Can I just go back using Time Machine to an earlier back up?

Thanks for any suggestions.

c55

macrumors regular
May 3, 2015
Yes, wiping the drive is the best way and reinstalling yosemite. then you can go back into time machine and grab all your stuff.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
You can only go back to an earlier point in Time Machine by first wiping the drive and then restoring from a point before you installed El Capitan. Otherwise you have to start from scratch and manually import your data again.

brock5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2015
Damn...ok. Thanks. I am really not sure how to go about this. I was not the best candidate for the Beta obviously.

zaxven

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
wiping is only option and easiest way to do is..

1. on start up hold Command + Option + R - Go to disk utility, wipe off the existing disk and reinstall.
it will restore mac to the OS it originally came with. (You will need fast internet connection - from mavericks (say) to Yosemite it will take good 1 hour)

2. d/l a copy of Yosemite from app store and create USB installer. Hold Option key at start up, wipe the disk and reinstall.

mossy

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
Ireland
Use TimeMachine seen as you have it.
  • Before the chime(sound) on computer boot/start-up - hold down the Command and R keys together - to boot into the recovery partition.
  • Select TimeMachine from the finder window that is displayed
  • Select the last backup that has 10.10 version (or the date/time before install of the Beta -if you remember)
  • Install to Macintosh HD (I assume that is the name of your hard drive)
  • It will then restore your computer

No need to wipe, create USB installer or download anything.

The TimeMachine process will wipe the drive before it proceeds. TimeMachine already has the operating system saved. That is the whole point of TimeMachine. To avoid exactly what the user "zaxven" said above (in reference to creating usb installers and wiping the disk.)

Here is link to official Apple support documentation:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Last edited:

mossy

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
Ireland
wiping is only option and easiest way to do is..-----Incorrect.

User has a TimeMachine backup. User therefor has options - to do a clean install or use the TimeMachine backup.

1. on start up hold Command + Option + R -----Incorrect.

From Apple: "To start your computer from Recovery, restart your Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup."

zaxven

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014

Command + R - Restores mac to the existing OSX installation. If you have 10.11 installed, recovery will not allow you to go back to Yosemite.

Command + Option + R - Restores to OSX which originally came with your mac. for e.g. Macbook Pro Early 2015, comes with Yosemite. So when you try to restore, recovery will install Yosemite not El Capitan.

Try for yourself!

Reactions: BillyBobBongo

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Command + Option + R - Restores to OSX which originally came with your mac. for e.g. Macbook Pro Early 2015, comes with Yosemite. So when you try to restore, recovery will install Yosemite not El Capitan.

...and you know that it works when you see the spinning globe on the screen.

Attachments

• Internet Recovery Mac OS X.jpg
    Internet Recovery Mac OS X.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 291
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.