Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vikkimac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
I need to save a document from word as a pdf to add to a webpage. When I choose "save as" >pdf, I get the error that the header and footer are outside the printable margins... if I continue, it doesn't just cut off the footer, it cuts off about an inch an a half of the document.
I've reset the margins in word to accommodate the entire thing, but it still cuts it off in pdf format.:confused:
I've searched for other answers, but it seems that people have more printing issues, not just saving issues.

GPSJane

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2010
Are you using Mac OS?

The reason for your problem is the same as the people trying to print to PDF; the print driver will only allow you to print within printable margins and since the PDF converter uses the print driver you get only what would be in the print margins.

When you "save to PDF" you are still printing to PDF.

You can try installing a printer with a driver for a printer that can do borderless printing and print to PDF from there. I haven't had any luck with that though.

Yerman

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2008
I have the solution for you. It's because there are pre-defined margins that are set for the PDF printer. However, you can bypass those settings. Do this:

1. In Word, go to "Format Document"
2. Click "Page Setup"
3. Under "Paper Size", select "Custom Sizes"
4. Add a custom sized page with user defined non-printable margins to your liking, and use this as your new Paper Size moving forward.

samh

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
I have the solution for you. It's because there are pre-defined margins that are set for the PDF printer. However, you can bypass those settings. Do this:

2. Click "Page Setup"
4. Add a custom sized page with user defined non-printable margins to your liking, and use this as your new Paper Size moving forward.

I know this isn't exactly the newest thread, but THANK YOU for this! It was exactly what I needed in order to generate the desired edge-to-edge PDF.

wp2023

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
Thank you and one addition

Thank you very much for this great tip!
One addition: For me it did not work when I set the margins to "0". Only when I set them to "0.5 cm" it worked fine.
(Mac Word 2011, OS X 10.8.4)

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

2. Click "Page Setup"

Just wanted to thank this guy! Saved me from going crazy trying to get my resume to save into a pdf correctly. For the record I used 0 for all margins and it worked flawlessly

Getekid

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2013
I'd also like to thank you for the tip. After a few minutes of googling this one made it!! :)

So thanks, I needed it for an organisation where many people were printing our template with cut edges. You helped more than one person here :eek:!!

Had some minor cuts with Preview but Acrobat Reader show it perfect!!

6tel

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2014

2. Click "Page Setup"

----

And four years after this is still working as well. Thank you, Yerman.

audieannie

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
Yes

Thanks! Worked like a charm and kept me from screaming at my computer when my 44-page document kept cutting off the footer. Thank heavens this thread was one of the top hits on google :)

pameladennis

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2014
My simple solution for Mac pdf cuts off bottom

I was preparing my book for Createspace and kept losing the bottom page numbers. I tried all the suggestions here to no avail and was losing my mind.

Then I looked at the document in PDF "Preview" and the numbers were there, so I printed the PDF directly from the preview. The documents name was automatically changed to add "Microsoft Word" in front of the book title "Dead Girls Don't Blog". The pdf was perfect. Then I renamed the pdf to remove the"Microsoft document" words.

Hope this helps!

ESD Architectural Design

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2015

2. Click "Page Setup"

Dear Yerman,

Thanks for the above info.

I tried this, set up the new custom page size with zero values for the borders and saved this new custom setting.

Having selected the new custom page size I click OK to confirm it.

However when I go back to "Save As" to save the document as a PDF, the page set up simply reverts to its previous standard page size (in my case A3) and the problem remains you.

Could somebody kindly point out what I am missing?

Thank you

SamFromSam

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2015
One can change it either by changing page margines (they should be 2 at least), or by opening it in Pages and then exporting it to pdf.

NhungDo

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2016

2. Click "Page Setup"

This is totally useful for me!! 6 years later and this problem continues to making mac user crazy! After whole day of googling, finally I find your solution. Thanks a lot!!!!

Reactions: kylebogucki

kylebogucki

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2016
Washington DC/Arlington VA

2. Click "Page Setup"
[doublepost=1475763160][/doublepost]5 years later and this STILL WORKS! thank you!

cewdda

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2019
Interestingly, I did these steps before coming to this site, yet it is NOT working for me. No matter what I do, my document gets cut off when I print to PDF. It will work, however, when I convert it in Adobe, but that's not what I want.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.