Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malen33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
I currently have a 2018 macbook pro with four USB-C ports, allowing me to use two ports to connect to my Apple Cinema Display (Black border version) and two empty ports for external HDs or other peripherals. Is there a way to use some sort of adapter to dedicate one of the ports to connect to my Apple Display and keep the second port free for peripherals or external HDs? I can't seem to find this solution. TIA

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Which Apple Cinema Display are you referring to? They made a Thunderbolt version, a MiniDisplayPort version, and a DVI-D version. Each one requires a different adapter.

List model number of the display.

Docks are usually the go-to approach with laptops for maximizing ports.

Malen33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
It's a Thunderbolt version. I can't seem to figure this out, all the connections are so confusing between USBC, USB2, Displayport, Mini Display port etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated

mkelly

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2007
Yes, you can use a Thunderbolt dock and/or Thunderbolt 2->3 adapter to get what you’re after (note: since you have a Thunderbolt monitor, you *can’t* use a plain old USB-C dock/adapter to do the trick).

Specifically, I’ve done something similar using a CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt dock on my desk (they’re not cheap though, but I wanted a full dock with all the extra ports and a single cable to my M1, not just an adapter).

In order to make it work, the hookup looks like this:

MacBook M1 -> CalDigit TS3 Plus Dock (via included Thunderbolt cable) -> Apple Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter -> Apple Thunderbolt/Cinema Display

In addition to the Thunderbolt dock, you need a Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter (Apple makes one) to make everything work as the monitor you have has an old Thunderbolt 2-style connector, whereas the M1 MacBook and the CalDigit Dock support Thunderbolt 3.

If you just want the monitor and no additional ports, then the Thunderbolt 2->3 adapter by itself will do the trick, but you'll also need to power the laptop via its charger, tying up all the ports on the M1. But the Cinema Display has USB and Ethernet ports too so that might be all you need depending on what you want to plug in.

Last edited:

Malen33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Yes. You can use something like a Thunderbolt or USB-C dock to accomplish what you’re after.
Would you happen to have any recommendations? Apple sells something from caldigit but it’s over 300 and I can’t afford that. All I really need is a usbc hub that turns one into two ports, ideally maintaining speed or any of the benefits of usbc

Malen33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
the other usbc is taken up by the power from the monitor
I don't understand your concern. Your M1 MacBook Pro needs power from somewhere. One port will connect to the power brick. One to the display. You'll use the plethora of ports on the display to connect peripherals. There is no single connector that can both drive the display and power your computer. If you need additional ports, you'll have to get a dock or hub. MacSales.com sells a Thunderbolt hub for $150 that will get you two additional Thunderbolt ports.

Malen33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
I don't understand your concern. Your M1 MacBook Pro needs power from somewhere. One port will connect to the power brick. One to the display. You'll use the plethora of ports on the display to connect peripherals. There is no single connector that can both drive the display and power your computer. If you need additional ports, you'll have to get a dock or hub. MacSales.com sells a Thunderbolt hub for $150 that will get you two additional Thunderbolt ports.

Thank you, this is exactly what I need!

Malen33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Thank you, this is exactly what I need!
I'm a bit of an idiot because I just realized based on your comment that one USBC port would be taken by either power directly from the charger or power from the laptop, oddly I didn't make that connection. That being said, two ports on a laptop isn't enough and the OWC hub you shared is perfect. Although it does bother me a little that I have to spend an additional 150 on a hub when a Pro laptop should probably come with more then two ports. But I guess that's the price I'm paying for being an early adopter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.