Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

godmaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Mass., USA
Help!

I am a relatively new mac user, my PowerMac G5 is my first mac since Frogger on an Apple 2e. This means that I'm new to Panther, and might be doing something silly.

My problem is that I recently installed 3ivx in order to watch avi's on VLC. Ever since, my sound has been... for lack of a better term, Dead. It sounds like its a mono output into a stereo system, or like someone kicked the connections a few times.

I have uninstalled 3ivx and messed around with my sound settings to the point where I know that the problem is definitly software and I think its some sort of interferance caused by the 3ivx software. My main evidence for this is that my VLC is the only thing that sounds Good, aside from the fact that it makes a little *audio tweak* noise when I hit play.

My current solution to the problem is to start a movie, then hit pause. Everything is fixed by doing this; macamp x and itunes both sound fine. However, I haven't upgraded my ram, so having movies running constantly isn't very appealing.

PS I know its some sort of software output problem, but, just incase it helps, I'm outputing through a audiophile 24 96 via RCA cable, I've tried all output channels, and I'm playing the sound through my stereo (sony str-de325 daisied to a sony MHC-F250AV with a wide assortment of speakers).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.