Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amy Lord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2018
So, someone hacked my iMessages from a computer on some website, took pictures of the messages on their laptop screen, and then sent them to my boyfriend trying to start a fight between us over one of my past relationships. I also went back and checked my messages, and the ones sent to my bf are word for word from my conversations along with accurate time stamps and everything. I've been trying to figure out how they did this all day and I still don't have a clue.. so PLEASE help me figure out how this happened. Here is some info about my phone, settings, and anything that may help figure this out:
  • I've had 2 factor authentication enabled for as long as I can remember
  • I have an iPhone 8 Plus with all current software and it is not jailbroken or anything like that
  • There are no "spying" apps on my phone - I checked
  • My Apple ID Password is very secure - so much so that I couldn't even remember it today when I went to reset it after finding out about all of this
  • I haven't received any emails/alerts from Apple saying that my Apple ID was being used on a new device
  • The attached photo is one of the ones my bf received to show what the website used looks like in case one of y'all recognizes it!

• Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 11.00.14 PM.png

Amy Lord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2018
Silly question but...how do you know this was your account that had the messages 'stolen' from and not the other person?
I'm assuming that it was from mine, because the pictures showed my messages on the right side of the thread, which I consider to be standard! But that is a good point...

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Have you ruled out your boyfriend?

Not accusing him. But...

I’ve been in a lot of relationships. And I’ve found from experience that “someone” always turns out to be them.

If I went from experience of my past messes... here’s how I would expect it to happen based on what you’ve supplied for information.

If accessed online, see below... spouses have your passwords (even if you think they don’t).

It doesn’t have to be done online to create the effect of looking like it was.

If your device is set somewhere while you shower, changed laundry, slept, etc...

Take pictures with another phone, and photoshop (or similar free program) them into what you were later given as “evidence”.

If your phone was locked... guess what... spouses always know your codes. Even if you think you’re careful. They know. I didn’t even have anything to hide, but I got tired of the bs in my last relationship and changed my codes daily. The only relationship where I even bothered locking my phone. Usually I’ve always left them unlocked for convenience. And I have no secrets from anyone I date. I’ll tell them every reason not to date me before it starts, yes I try to scare them off. Easier that way.

Anyway... point made.

If you have your phone set to use your fingerprint... guess what’s always handy while you’re sleeping.

It’s simple if one cares to try.

As for why??? Perhaps he has something he wants to talk about with you, and saying someone else sent this to him and said something... well... that’s a convenient way to get you to talk without admitting to snooping.

I’ve seen people go through all kinds of crazy stuff. I’m pretty sure everyone I know is drama... I hear so much stuff from both sides. I really wonder why some people are still together. Actually I know why... some people need the very thing they complain about.

Anyway, I’d go to iCloud and your Apple ID, and use the website to log out all devices.

Then I’d change all my passwords to something crazy long that is random with no words.

And as an additional step, if you have a newer Mac that is receiving your iMessage as well (like mine is) then I’d lock that down too.

And I’d turn off Touch ID and face recognition on everything.

That’s usually my first step. Then if my spouse is still a problem (as in I see that they’re not making progress to be trusting) then I get rid of them too.

I’m an open book in relationships. And that comes with an expectation of trust. I’ll tell you anything you want to know (and probably more), but if you show me that you don’t trust me, then I assume it’s because I shouldn’t be trusting you (and that’s always been proven to be true).

Now... in your case, I could be completely wrong. But, in my experience, that’s the way it goes down.

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I'm assuming that it was from mine, because the pictures showed my messages on the right side of the thread, which I consider to be standard! But that is a good point...

Were they sent as SMS or iMessage? The bubbles are green on that screenshot. AFAIK there isn't a third-party app to allow you to view iMessages, because it's encrypted.

Does/did your boyfriend use iOS or Android?

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Were they sent as SMS or iMessage? The bubbles are green on that screenshot. AFAIK there isn't a third-party app to allow you to view iMessages, because it's encrypted.

That’s a good point. iMessages are blue.

Text messages are green. And text messages would not pass through any online sites. That’s straight from the cell phone company to your phone.

That lends more credibility to the possible scenario I posed regarding the boyfriend using some method of access to the phone to get pictures of the messages.

Another option is if the phone is backed up to the computer. There are ways to extract the backups from the computer. Those tools will also display the message history that way.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
Someone must have had physical access to your phone at one time or another. Strongly doubt anyone in your circle of friends is able to or has the ability to access your phone remotely.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
EDIT: re-reading OP post, not implied that an ex has sent this out, just someone. Will leave the references to "ex" in here due to too lazy to edit. Sub "ex" with "someone you know".

Quick scan of some of the file recovery programs out there point to a demo version of Enigma Recovery software.

It can extract files from iCloud backups and iTunes backup. So, did you ever connect your phone to the ex's computer and do a sync (ie. share/upload music, apps)? If so, this software will be able to grab text messages from the local backup.

Also, the ex might have screen grabbed the messages sometime in the past, so might not have extracted these messages recently (ie. does not have access to your iCloud backups).

Did they ever have an iPhone or iPad (guessing not since the texts are green and not Messages blue)? Might want to sign into appleid.apple.com and see if their device(s) is listed as a Trusted Device on your account, to be safe.

ADD: since maybe someone you know, have you ever shared your iCloud id with them and shared the account at same time? Might be the "bug" where shared ids see the same texts, call logs, etc. And this other person maybe has a backup of their phone on their computer and they can see your texts since these were shared.

ADD2: and why are you keeping around old "incriminating" message? Should have moved on, imo, and cleaned house.

Last edited:

Amy Lord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2018

All of the messages they had were sent as iMessage (from iPhones, of course).. I did so much research and everything said it’s encrypted and all that so I have no clue at all how it happened ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
All of the messages they had were sent as iMessage (from iPhones, of course).. I did so much research and everything said it’s encrypted and all that so I have no clue at all how it happened ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Your pic shows green bubbles and that means its NOT iMessage

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Think long and hard about who knew your code to access your phone.

More than likely, someone you know new how to access your phone and sent the texts in question to someone else.

You weren’t hacked.

Change your phone password to an obscure alphanumeric password that has no reference to anything about you. Never give your phone password to anyone unless you are in a healthy committed marriage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.