Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honkin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2019
I have an issue which has now gotten so bad as to make Excel very difficult to use at all.

I had High Sierra and a much earlier version of Office running and every now and then I would get the spinning wheel. It was a bit annoying, so finally bit the bullet and upgraded to Catalina (iMac can't do BigSur due to age) and also Office 16.51. Now, every minute or so, regardless of whether I am simply trying to scroll in Excel, or click a cell or anything this simple, or something more complex, the spinning wheel is there for a solid 5 minutes.

I have 32Gb of physical RAM and both drives have over 200Gb of free space each. When I check the Activity Monitor, Excel has maybe 8Gb of RAM in use when this occurs and 20 or so threads, which shouldn't be horrendous with 32 available.

Any thoughts on why Excel would now be so volatile on my iMac? It is the only app exhibiting this behaviour and I have some very serious heavy hitters I use regularly; Adobe After Effects and Adobe Premier, which require vastly more system resources than Excel.

This can happen in a workbook with only a few thousand rows, or one with 200,000 rows, so I am at a loss to try and resolve it.

Any suggestions at all, considering it is Excel-specific?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.