Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dan SAE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Hey guys, ive been looking at this issue for quite some time and I haven't found the answer yet. But I'd like to tether my Eris to my wifi iPad. If it helps any, I'm currently running Android 2.1 unrooted. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Unless your phone can be used as a wifi hotspot and you connect you iPad via wifi to it, you can't. Most phones use Bluetooth to connect and tether to them and the iPad does not have a Bluetooth modem stack to connect it.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
You need to root to tether, once rooted download the app Wireless Tether for Root users.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
Do a search for droid forums and you'll get a ton of info on how to root your droid. It's basically like jail breaking your phone. Once rooted you can download free app called Wi fi Tether. This creates a hotspot with your phone and the iPad should be able to tap into the signal.

I have been looking at the Eris as an inexpensive upgrade for my blackberry. I'd be real interested in hearing about real download speeds with iPad and eris.

Please keep us posted on how it turns out.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I will tether from my Sprint HTC Hero (essentially the Droid Eris) to my iPad, I will also tell you how this goes.

Dan SAE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Now I'm having issues even connecting my Eris to my iMac, seriously fed up with Andorid right now

Character Zero

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
I believe there is an App called "Barnacle" that does wifi tether without rooting. Google that app and see if it works for you.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
I believe there is an App called "Barnacle" that does wifi tether without rooting. Google that app and see if it works for you.

Barnacle will also let his carrier know that he is tethering and he will incur charges.

Wi fi Tether via rooting opens up the operating system and allows 3rd party apps to be used on any droid phone.

Rooting is really the way to go as it opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

He can wi fi tether using his phones data connection and not incur extra fees for using the same data that he is already paying for.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
I'm currently posting from my iPad that is wirelessly tethered to my HTC Droid Eris. It's pretty easy to setup. You just need to do both of these procedures:

http://theunlockr.com/2010/03/16/how-to-root-the-htc-droid-eris/

http://theunlockr.com/2010/03/19/how-to-load-a-custom-rom-on-the-htc-droid-eris/

Then once you've done all that, just download the Wifi Tether for Root Users app from the Market and you're good to go.

thanks for posting!

any way you could do a speed test and let us know some typical download speeds?

also what area of the country are you in?

Thanks!
Pat

patp

Apr 10, 2008
I ordered the Eris last night. Verizon has a screaming deal and with my upgrade promo it was basically free.

I'll report back on the rooting and tethering.

If anyone else has some experience with this, please chime in.

Cander

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
On that topic I got my Evo rooted and the wifi tether app and it works wonderfully with my iPad. Only took a couple minutes to get done.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
On that topic I got my Evo rooted and the wifi tether app and it works wonderfully with my iPad. Only took a couple minutes to get done.

are you in a 4g area? what kind of speeds do you get on your ipad thru the evo?

could you do a speedtest and post the results?

Thanks!

patp

Apr 10, 2008
I'm currently posting from my iPad that is wirelessly tethered to my HTC Droid Eris. It's pretty easy to setup. You just need to do both of these procedures:

http://theunlockr.com/2010/03/16/how-to-root-the-htc-droid-eris/

http://theunlockr.com/2010/03/19/how-to-load-a-custom-rom-on-the-htc-droid-eris/

Then once you've done all that, just download the Wifi Tether for Root Users app from the Market and you're good to go.

tried this and it does not work!

my new eris came preloaded with the 2.1 firmware and it gives error message.

crap.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
Okay after doing a lot of reading up on the Eris I have found that new Eris phones are shipping with a newer firmware that cannot be rooted. In other words hackers have not been able to open up the OS to gain super user root access.

It all has to do with the hboot loader. If it reads 1.49 S-ON then this loaded will not accept new firmware other than the stock HTC or Verizon approved. The hboot loader is where you work the new file into the phone to modify the os to open up access.

Not trying to turn this into the Eris forum, but wanted to warn others like who wanted a cheap way to wi fi tether. It won't work. From reading the xda forums the debs are working on it, but it may be a while as no one has come up with a workaround.

I like the phone and will keep it with the hopes that the rooting ability will come soon.

jeffy777

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
Okay after doing a lot of reading up on the Eris I have found that new Eris phones are shipping with a newer firmware that cannot be rooted. In other words hackers have not been able to open up the OS to gain super user root access.

It all has to do with the hboot loader. If it reads 1.49 S-ON then this loaded will not accept new firmware other than the stock HTC or Verizon approved. The hboot loader is where you work the new file into the phone to modify the os to open up access.

Not trying to turn this into the Eris forum, but wanted to warn others like who wanted a cheap way to wi fi tether. It won't work. From reading the xda forums the debs are working on it, but it may be a while as no one has come up with a workaround.

I like the phone and will keep it with the hopes that the rooting ability will come soon.

Man, that sucks. I guess I got my Eris just in time (about two weeks ago). I had no problems rooting it at all and am tethered to it right now (I'm in rural Michigan and my 3G speeds are 1mb down and 1mb up).

patp

Apr 10, 2008
sorry to bump an old thread but iwanted update this subject. i finally attained root for my droid eris.

the rooting of this phone has gotten easier and there is even a 1 click method.

i've been enjoying the benefits of rooting and tether with my wifi iPad with decent speeds. internet on the go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.