Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darajavahus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2015
A couple of days ago I got iPhone 12 Pro Max,
not only I have the yellow tinted display also there is this flickering in video with artificial lighting,
check out how intense it is, I never saw anything like this:

Googling about this and I see some examples of flickering on video with artificial lighting but it's nothing compared to what I get, it's like 100 times worse, videos are completely unusable and the main reason for buying this iPhone was for making youtube videos in my room. ?

It looks like that on all three of the back cameras 60p, 30p, and 24p,
HDR Video on and off, in HEVC and H.264

This is not happening on this iPhone front-facing camera or my 2020 27 iMac camera or my iPad mini (1st gen) or my previous cheap android phone (this iPhone is my first one) or any other phone or camera I previously ever used.

After some googling, I found out that something like this has to do with the electrical grid having a frequency of 60Hz in America and 50Hz in the rest of the world and to enable PAL formats, so I'm in Poland and indeed at 25p the video is clean there is no flickering at all, so I wish Apple offered also 50p at least, but like before deciding to buy this iPhone I watched tons of reviews and no one mentioned that 60p video is unusable outside of America.

I am so confused if it is about electrical grid frequency then how is this not happening in front-facing camera 60p, 30p, or 24p, the iMac and iPad cameras, or any other I ever used? (sorry for my poor English)

808drums

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2017
A couple of days ago I got iPhone 12 Pro Max,
not only I have the yellow tinted display also there is this flickering in video with artificial lighting,
check out how intense it is, I never saw anything like this:

Googling about this and I see some examples of flickering on video with artificial lighting but it's nothing compared to what I get, it's like 100 times worse, videos are completely unusable and the main reason for buying this iPhone was for making youtube videos in my room.

It looks like that on all three of the back cameras 60p, 30p, and 24p,
HDR Video on and off, in HEVC and H.264

This is not happening on this iPhone front-facing camera or my 2020 27 iMac camera or my iPad mini (1st gen) or my previous cheap android phone (this iPhone is my first one) or any other phone or camera I previously ever used.

After some googling, I found out that something like this has to do with the electrical grid having a frequency of 60Hz in America and 50Hz in the rest of the world and to enable PAL formats, so I'm in Poland and indeed at 25p the video is clean there is no flickering at all, so I wish Apple offered also 50p at least, but like before deciding to buy this iPhone I watched tons of reviews and no one mentioned that 60p video is unusable outside of America.

I am so confused if it is about electrical grid frequency then how is this not happening in front-facing camera 60p, 30p, or 24p, the iMac and iPad cameras, or any other I ever used? (sorry for my poor English)

The problem is your lighting using PWM to control brightness. It means they flicker thousand times per second. Replace with other lightbulbs.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The camera shutter is synchronizing with your flickering lights. Change the lights or use a different phone

teohyc

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
You can just download third party video recording apps like Moment or Filmic Pro that lets you shoot at 50FPS.

Anyway, to prevent flicker, the video frequency should match the light (electricity) frequency.

E.g. These are situations where you will not have flicker.
50 Hz electricity - Shoot in PAL, OR choose shutter speeds 1/25, 1/50, 1/100 or any factor of 50.
50 Hz electricity - Shoot in NTSC but you MUST choose shutter speeds 1/25, 1/50, 1/100 or any factor of 50.

Sometimes there may not be flicker because the video frequency happens to match (or is a factor of) the electricity frequency. That may explain why there's no flicker with the selfie camera.

Reactions: sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
You can just download third party video recording apps like Moment or Filmic Pro that lets you shoot at 50FPS.

Anyway, to prevent flicker, the video frequency should match the light (electricity) frequency.

E.g. These are situations where you will not have flicker.
50 Hz electricity - Shoot in PAL, OR choose shutter speeds 1/25, 1/50, 1/100 or any factor of 50.
50 Hz electricity - Shoot in NTSC but you MUST choose shutter speeds 1/25, 1/50, 1/100 or any factor of 50.

Sometimes there may not be flicker because the video frequency happens to match (or is a factor of) the electricity frequency. That may explain why there's no flicker with the selfie camera.

I second Filmic as an app to handle this - it has other good capabilities and vendor support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.