Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YoungNick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2023
Hello everyone.
I'm wondering which mini would be a better choice for my case.

Data analysis (Excel, Power BI, Power Query, Tableu), Parallels with Windows 11 (I know Power BI can consume a lot of resources), Data Science, Coding(R, Python, SQL) so Xcode, PyCharm, R Studio, Postgresql
This will suit me as my personal device as well, so a little of gaming, youtube, twitch, netflix

I am planning to also buy a mini hub with 2 ssd slots to add (m.2 and sata) - Hagibis MC25 Pro

1. Mac Mini M2 24 GB RAM 512 SSD (or maybe 16/512?)
  2. Mac Mini M2 Pro 16 GB RAM 512 SSD (base model)

The M2 pro variant is slightly more expensive, but it also has 2 more USB-C inputs, faster RAM (200 gigs instead of 100), HDMI 2.1 (I will be using two 32-inch 4k 60hz monitors for now), and of course a better processor with better GPU.

The M2 variant, on the other hand, has 24 GB of RAM instead of 16. But don't know if that bump is even worth considering, and maybe the base M2 16/512 is good enough.

If someone could, please advise, maybe based on previous experience. Or someone who is more experienced in development and data science.
Thank you in advance.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I think if you were using all those applications and Parallels at the same time, then you would want more than 16GB of memory. Other than that I couldn't tell you if the extra capabilities of the M2 Pro would benefit you.

Reactions: YoungNick

YoungNick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2023
I think if you were using all those applications and Parallels at the same time, then you would want more than 16GB of memory. Other than that I couldn't tell you if the extra capabilities of the M2 Pro would benefit you.
Definitely not the same time. In other words best would be base M2 16/512?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.