Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zookeeper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2021
Singapore
I am a psychology student from Singapore and I am thinking getting a MacBook air due to its light weight. I was thinking of just getting the base model of 8GB and 256GB of storage but I was concerned if it would face any latency as I open at least 50- 100 tabs in one sitting due to the many research papers that I need open.

Should I opt for the 16GB upgrade as I heard that there are some delays in shipping the devices out now:/

Main usage: mostly write my papers, watch videos on streaming services, some occasional light photo and video editing

Required: to open at least 50-100 tabs as well as MS word.

Was also considering to get the MacBook Pro but I would assume it won't make a huge difference and also it does weight alot more.

Last edited:

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I reckon you'd be better off with 16 GBs in that case, especially if you plan to keep your computer for a while.

Zookeeper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2021
Singapore
I reckon you'd be better off with 16 GBs in that case, especially if you plan to keep your computer for a while.
If I plan to only keep it for 1-2 years, is it still logical to upgrade it? Also, should I buy it now as there could be a new M1X MacBook that would be out soon

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
If you plan to keep for only 1-2 years you should be fine with 8GB. The 16GB you would only see a marginal benefit for your planned use case, not worth the extra cost IMO.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
50-100 tabs?
(you must be kidding).

If I were you, I'd either pick up an Intel MacBook Pro with 32gb of RAM...
or...
WAIT for the upcoming MacBook Pro 14" (due to be announced in the next few weeks) with the m1x CPU. These should also have a 32gb RAM option.

I predict you will be unhappy with anything less...

Zookeeper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2021
Singapore
50-100 tabs?
(you must be kidding).

If I were you, I'd either pick up an Intel MacBook Pro with 32gb of RAM...
or...
WAIT for the upcoming MacBook Pro 14" (due to be announced in the next few weeks) with the m1x CPU. These should also have a 32gb RAM option.

I predict you will be unhappy with anything less...
Hmmm, 50-100 tabs is the actually the lower mean of tabs that I have open at any given time. During my crunch time it goes up to about 300-400 tabs so I'm actually serious about it haha

I was considering to get the newer M1X models but I need a laptop by early November which I'm not sure if apple can fulfil the new ones by then.

cr2

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Hmmm, 50-100 tabs is the actually the lower mean of tabs that I have open at any given time. During my crunch time it goes up to about 300-400 tabs so I'm actually serious about it haha

I was considering to get the newer M1X models but I need a laptop by early November which I'm not sure if apple can fulfil the new ones by then.
Wow! How do you keep track of them? I would recommend what Fishrrman has recommended above. See if you can delay your purchase just a bit or use a different machine until the new machines are released.

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
It sounds like you could use the Papers app so you have a searchable repository of the papers you are using for your literature reviews. Heck even a bunch of pdfs on your local machine and searching with spotlight has to be more efficient than combing through literally hundreds of tabs.

Zookeeper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2021
Singapore
Wow! How do you keep track of them? I would recommend what Fishrrman has recommended above. See if you can delay your purchase just a bit or use a different machine until the new machines are released.
You can group them in chrome so it's easier to find them! I took his advice and cancelled my order for the base model of the MacBook air! Will be waiting for the new M1X MacBook but I'm not sure if it's going to fit my budget but I'll just keep a look out for it:)

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
If I plan to only keep it for 1-2 years, is it still logical to upgrade it? Also, should I buy it now as there could be a new M1X MacBook that would be out soon
Get the base MacBook Air model with 8GB. It runs well.
yes, I'd wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.