Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I Need a Drink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
I have two Windows 10 VMs. One in Virtualbox and I also have one in Parallels. My old iMac (2013) could no longer get any updates so I am using my 2017 MacBook Pro (still holding out hope for a new 27" iMac model) in a Dock as my Desktop and the version of Parallels that I had on the iMac will not install on Ventura. I have tried a number of times to move both VMs to VMware as I don't want the yearly charge for Parallels and Virtualbox is way too slow and buggy on any Mac that I have tried it on. I want to use WMware Fusion since it is free and is a lot faster than Virtualbox on the test VM that I installed, but whenever I try to import either VM into VMware, I am asked to reactivate Windows.

Both VMs were created as Windows 7 VMs back around 2014-15 and were updated to Windows 10. I don't have the license keys anymore as a friend who was in IT at the time gave me a couple of volume keys that no longer work for activation. MS will not reactivate them over the phone, I have tried. They have been moved to my new mac and since I just copied them over, the Virtualbox VM didn't need to be reactivated when I moved them.

Are there any suggestions on how to import them to VMWare without requiring reactivation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.