Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zakzilla

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2015
I'm excited to get OS X El Capitan installed -- I've got the installer downloaded from the App Store, and want this beta installed on a new partition (I've been burned in the past using betas as primary).

When I visit Disk Utility to add this additional partition, the partition tab has greyed out buttons for adding and removing partitions. I attached a screenshot. It's strange.

Anyone else have this issue? Is it because I have a bootcamp partition perhaps?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 10.48.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 10.48.10 AM.png
    193.2 KB · Views: 156

Zakzilla

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2015
Nobody else having this issue? I'm running on a 2015 MBP 15" w/ OS X Yosemite + 512GB SSD

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That is because your Macintosh HD volume is in core storage format. Disconnect any other drives and run the command below to turn off core storage then you should be able to resize the volume.

Code:
diskutil cs revert /

Zakzilla

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2015
That is because your Macintosh HD volume is in core storage format. Disconnect any other drives and run the command below to turn off core storage then you should be able to resize the volume.

Code:
diskutil cs revert /

Thanks for the reply. Do I need to revert back to CoreStorage after?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
From what I can tell, I can't do this because FileVault 2 is enabled. Do you know of a way to revert with FileVault 2 on?
Filevault causes the same problem and you will need to turn it off first so you can resize that first volume.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.