Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

succulant

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2018
Had this issue and replaced hard drive, logic board, discrete GPU, and RAM and it fixed the issue. 2014 15" MBP.

MrFacu

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2018
Hi guys,

I'm also experiencing this same issue. I've tried about everything already and nothing seems to work.

SPECS
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) model: MacBookPro11,3
MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 (i7-4850HQ) CPU: 4-core
16 GB RAM Not upgradeable
Intel Iris Pro - VRAM: 1536 MB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M - VRAM: 2 GB

STEPS TAKEN
--Verified that the issue also occurs in Safe Mode.
--Performed fresh install of High Sierra.
--Performed Apple Diagnostics (D). No issues found.
--Performed Apple Hardware Diagnostic at store. No issues found.
--Performed SMC Reset.
--Performed NVRAM Reset (Option, Command, P, and R)
--Performed MemTest86. No issues found.
--Installed NVIDIA Web Driver: 387.10.10.10.25.156
--Installed NVIDIA CUDA Driver: 387.128
--Installed gfxCardStatus. Reprodurced issue on Integrated Only, Discrete Only and Dynamic Switching.
--Disabled AppleThunderboltNHI.kext
--Ran the following cmdlet in Terminal: while :; do sleep 1; done
--Also created Automator python script and received, but the crashes do not stop.
--Ran EtreCheck

I took the MBP to Apple and they recommended changing the logic board for $575 with a 90 day warranty, but seeing that this is actually affecting a bunch of people, I'm trying to find another way to fix the issue.

Has anyone downgraded to El Capitan by any chance?

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

conedogers

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2017
Hi guys,
Same problem as the most of you here, MBP15 Late 2013, High Sierra, shuts down every 2-5 minutes without any reason, no hardware issues. Been in the Apple Store - they found nothing.
After reading this thread and trying different things (only Python script works in my case ) I think I found another way without creating any additional charge on the CPU and though no additional battery loss.

Here's the link where a guy basically disables most of the drivers: usb, thunderbolt etc and after that no shutdowns MacOS.
In my case when something is connected via Thunderbolt (screen, ethernet etc) MBP doesn't shutdown at all.
So I took from the list of the drivers only Thunderbolt related ones (which start with "AppleThunderbolt") and it runs ok !
But obviously I want to be able to connect external displays via Thunderbolt so I started enabling one after another to see if I can find one which causes problems and I think I found it (at least in my case).

So if you disable (move out of /System/Library/Extensions) AppleThunderboltNHI.kext driver then reboot. Everything runs ok, you can connect external screens via Thunderbolt.

The only drawback is that Ethernet via Thunderbolt will not work.

PS : you can't just move kext driver files from /System/Library/Extensions even if you're root. You need to disable "csrutil" (just google it)

looks like every time we get an update we can expect this issue to return. After getting the latest update dated 22 Feb, my laptop started rebooting randomly again.

I found the AppleThunderboltNHI.kext had been replaced as part of the update. So far this has been the only fix that has prevented random reboots.

just don't forget to reenable csrutil when you're done.

Reactions: Suzatlarge

conedogers

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2017
first thing you can try is
1) open system preferences
2) navigate to "network" options.
3) in the list of network adaptors on the left side, look for any thunderbolt network interfaces and delete them
4) reboot

If the problem still exists, then you need to take more comprehensive steps as suggested by OlegK0

danimac12

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2018
This looks to have worked for me! But I use a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter which obviously doesnt work now. Is there any solution to get that working aswell? New driver perhaps?

boblikesoup

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2017
To fix:

1. Open finder/file explorer
2. Click "Go" top menu option and "go to"
3. Paste "/System/Library/Extensions"
4. Delete "AppleThunderboltNHI.kext"

You are good to go. Otherwise you can run the solution.py script but that will take manual running each time you boot laptop and cost memory/battery life. To do that:

1. download it from earlier in this forum
2. change directory to where the file is saved
3. enter command "python solution.py"

farmerobot

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2018
Had this issue and replaced hard drive, logic board, discrete GPU, and RAM and it fixed the issue. 2014 15" MBP.

I have a MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2014. Processor 2GHz intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Graphics: Intel iris Pro and macOS High Sierra 10.13.4.

This Problem appeared first when I have my screen replaced in authorised Apple service (MacBook Pro Anti-Reflective Coating Repair Program) in May 2017. There were no accident before (for almost 3 years). But after screen replacement the problem begun.

The frequency of crashes is very random, sometimes it happens once an hour, sometimes it works for a few weeks without issues (the same usage pattern: 8-10 working hours daily).

Finally i decided to give it to Apple support, They diagnosed a motherboard failure and offered replacement for c.a. $750.
I decided to pay for motherboard replacement … but the story hasn’t finished yet ;-(
After bringing it back home i noticed next failure in 15 minutes. I was devastated, talked to the service guy, but he was sure it’s no more hardware issue it is a software problem.

I left macbook there for next week, they diagnosed another hardware failure (“topcase breaks motherboard”) and replaced: motherboard (once again), topcase and display (once again in MacBook Pro Anti-Reflective Coating Repair Program).

Now i am writing this on almost new macbook (so many main parts replaced) but … it still tends to randomly switch off.

What can I do, how can i check if the motherboard is really replaced with new one?

YuriHeupa

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2018
It seems that tons of people are experiencing this issue since the last year, and I can't believe that the best workaround found so far is to run a python script! Unfortunately, that’s the only thing that worked for me.

I noticed here some ppl suggesting that this issue started since the Sierra release, but I've been using Sierra for more than 6 months, and I only faced this issue by March's end, when I decided to update to High Sierra, but it hasn't made any difference, still got the issue. So, I’ve done some debugging and monitored system logs, and I couldn’t find anything relevant other than the shutdown cause code “-128” which can be a lot of things.

Just before bringing it to the Apple repair center, I went through all the common steps taken in cases like that, I've reset NVRAM, PRAM, SMC, etc. Performed Hardware and Software diagnostics (all ok), performed memory test checks, heat checks, app checks, I've gone extensively through all this during 2 weeks, I could only confirm that it’s more often when running on battery power, other than that, I couldn’t find any relevant pattern, shutdowns seemed completely random. I also did a fresh system install, for El Capitan, Sierra and High Sierra, same issue.

So, after it all, I brought my MacBook (15” Late 2013) to the repair center, they had my MacBook for almost 3 weeks, they’ve replaced my display, the battery, they also formatted my MacBook stating that they weren’t able to back up anything (strange huh?), and finally they did a fresh system install. Result: After picking up my MacBook, they said that the issue had been fixed. I've got home and used it for half an hour and: tadah! Black screen and shutdown! Can’t explain my feeling at that moment. I’ve been charged for every piece replaced, even for the system reinstall. Result: big money loss and no help.

After some googling I found this thread, and got a bit “comforted” because I’m not alone, actually, I feel comforted and scared at the same time, scared because it has been more than 1 year since this thread started, and there’s no concise definition of the problem, just a workaround, which doesn’t seem a good solution in the long run. To make it worse, Apple doesn’t give any feedback about that and they seem to only care about customers using recent products. Also, authorized repair shops here in Brazil aren’t qualified to solve problems like this, they seem to only care about selling things. So basically my hands are tied, the only resource I have is this thread, I’m just one more unlucky person to take account in this annoying issue.

And for last, I want to thank you guys for the python script workaround, I’m running it for days without noticing any shutdown.

Suzatlarge

macrumors member
May 4, 2008
Colorado
Hi guys,
Same problem as the most of you here, MBP15 Late 2013, High Sierra, shuts down every 2-5 minutes without any reason, no hardware issues. Been in the Apple Store - they found nothing.
After reading this thread and trying different things (only Python script works in my case ) I think I found another way without creating any additional charge on the CPU and though no additional battery loss.

Here's the link where a guy basically disables most of the drivers: usb, thunderbolt etc and after that no shutdowns MacOS.
In my case when something is connected via Thunderbolt (screen, ethernet etc) MBP doesn't shutdown at all.
So I took from the list of the drivers only Thunderbolt related ones (which start with "AppleThunderbolt") and it runs ok !
But obviously I want to be able to connect external displays via Thunderbolt so I started enabling one after another to see if I can find one which causes problems and I think I found it (at least in my case).

So if you disable (move out of /System/Library/Extensions) AppleThunderboltNHI.kext driver then reboot. Everything runs ok, you can connect external screens via Thunderbolt.

The only drawback is that Ethernet via Thunderbolt will not work.

PS : you can't just move kext driver files from /System/Library/Extensions even if you're root. You need to disable "csrutil" (just google it)

Thank you!!! :)

Two weeks ago I bought a used 2014 15" rMBP. When I brought it home I immediately connected it to two monitors, one via a Thunderbolt 2 port, one via HDMI port. The only squirrelly behavior I noticed was that sometimes in the morning the computer would need to be restarted when it should have only been sleeping. Then last night I unplugged it from all the peripherals and brought it to another room to use on a table with no external monitor.

And - chaos. Frequent random shutdowns. Like, every few minutes. And all I was using was a browser! Nothing to tax the CPU or GPU. It didn't matter what browser I used (Chrome, Firefox, or even Safari), or whether the AC charger was connected or not (battery was between 90% and 40% the whole time).

I'm glad I found this post. I didn't mess with any of the other drivers, just did exactly what OlegK0 posted (the bit that I've bolded above), and disabled the specified driver. After restarting the MBP I connected a USB portable drive, did some work in Lightroom and Photoshop, browsed some more, played FreeCell. For nearly two hours. And - not a single. shutdown.

It was getting late by then. I left the MBA sitting on the table when I went to bed. This morning I touched the keyboard, expecting to find it shut down. But, nope. The keyboard lit up and the lock screen appeared.

I don't need to use a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter, so if that's the only thing I've lost by disabling that driver, I'm good to go.

Sadly, this may be my last Mac. This experience has been all too Windows-like. I got my first Mac ten years ago - it was the infamous Vista and a POS HP desktop that pushed me to the Apple store and its lovely shiny things. I got an iMac and have never looked back. I love how things just work. A little common sense, a little normal maintenance, upgrading now and then - and that's all. No getting under the hood to fix stuff, just to make the thing work (vs. getting under there because you want to tinker).

I've been a member of this forum for ten years, and I think this is only my 30th post. I'm not a techie, and I tend to post here only with a problem or question. The low number of posts is an indicator of how painless this ten years has been for this computer user.

I chose this 2014 rMBP (from a reputable local shop with Apple-certified techs, that I've dealt with for years), over a new MBP because the new ones don't attract me at all. I hate the new keyboards, whether they last forever or blow up in a week, I still don't like them. I hope to get a few years of web browsing, writing, and photo editing out of this MBP. After that? I dunno. I hope I have at least one decent option in the Mac world.

EDITED to add: I just saw that this discussion is in a Sierra topic. I found it via Google and didn't pay attention to where it sits in the forum structure. In fact, my MBP is running High Sierra. Just FYI.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBiggs

bdsax

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2018
Hello Everyone

I’m have the same random shutdowns also. I bought my MBPr late 2013 second hand last year. I started having issues about 8 months ago occasionally. Recently it has been much more common.

Called Apple support and ran tests, nothing.
Started reading online and changed the battery, thermal paste, nothing.
Took it to the Apple store, they ran tests and said hardware looked good and want to keep it and run a software test. I had to go back a couple days later and do a backup of my system so they can put a new fresh copy of OSX on. While doing the backup I had no shutdowns at all. They called me a couple hours later saying it was ready. I go there and I start setting up the computer there and I started having constant shutdowns. They proceed to tell me I need a logic board for $575.

I left and got opinions from a couple local Mac repair shops and they said go with apples repair offer. I stumbled on a post on ifixit and someone linked the $10 downloadable python, not finding this first.

All seemed well last night, no shutdowns. I am going to try the thunderbolt idea tonight.

Seems weird that only select people are affected and seems to be software based problem.

Thank you all for the help.

Suzatlarge

macrumors member
May 4, 2008
Colorado
I was notified of bdsax's reply above. While I'm here, I might as well report that my MBP has now been on constantly since Tuesday evening. This is Friday morning. That's almost 60 hours. It's been sitting here, not connected to any external displays, with the AC charger connected as needed and often not connected. I've had a couple of portable USB external hard drives connected from time to time. I've left the MBP to sit and sleep in various conditions: (1) AC charger and external drives connected; (2) on battery power alone with drives connected; (3) on battery power w/o drives connected; and (4) on AC power with no drives connected.

In all situations, the MBP has behaved normally. It's gone to sleep either after the scheduled amount of inactivity or when I put it to sleep - and then it wakes up normally.

This sucker has not shut down on me one. single. time. since I used the fix I described above.

I'm one happy camper. :)

dqrf29

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2016
To fix:

1. Open finder/file explorer
2. Click "Go" top menu option and "go to"
3. Paste "/System/Library/Extensions"
4. Delete "AppleThunderboltNHI.kext"

You are good to go. Otherwise you can run the solution.py script but that will take manual running each time you boot laptop and cost memory/battery life. To do that:

1. download it from earlier in this forum
2. change directory to where the file is saved
3. enter command "python solution.py"

What do I do if I get this message when trying to delete that?
"“AppleThunderboltNHI.kext” can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by macOS."

Edit:

Also I get this error message when trying to run the Python script.. Nothing seems to be working for me :(
P9d3Otf.png

double edit: nevermind, got the python script to work.. had to change the shell directory to python

Last edited:
Reactions: Suzatlarge

bivalvegruff

macrumors member
May 22, 2018
Sweden
MacBook Air 2013 with random shutdowns here. Started appearing after an unauthorized battery switch. coconutBattery seems to think it's an original battery (Simplo), but who's to say. Also, they may have screwed something up during the switch even if it's an original.

I've tried everything suggested here, but after more googling, I've found that the shutdowns do not happen when the MacBook is connected to an external monitor (knock on wood). So I currently have it hooked up to my TV, and I have been planning on simply using it as a desktop computer. Through more googling, however, I found out there are dummies/emulators that trick your computer into thinking it's connected to an external monitor. There are HDMI plugs and even Thunderbolt (Mini-DisplayPort) plugs. I have ordered one, so I will hopefully be able to continue using my MacBook as a portable laptop when I get it.

dpatru

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2018
I'm trying to run that Python script, but seem to be something wrong. I've downloaded Python 3.6.3 and followed the instructions in the pdf I got from your dropbox link (thanks, by the way!). When I restart my MBP, the attached error window pops up. Any suggestions what I might be doing wrong?

View attachment 735244

You should not have any quotation marks in the script. Delete them.

CBiggs

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2018
This issue has cropped up in the last month or so for myself as well. Disabling the thunderboltNHI.kext seems to do the trick in terms of stopping random shutdowns, however upon doing so my thunderbolt display is not longer usable.
Has anyone else had this issue or is otherwise able to suggest a fix outside of running the python script?

Last edited:

Suzatlarge

macrumors member
May 4, 2008
Colorado
This issue has cropped up in the last month or so for myself as well. Disabling the thunderboltNHI.kext seems to do the trick in terms of stopping random shutdowns, however upon doing so my thunderbolt display is not longer usable.
Has anyone else had this issue or is otherwise able to suggest a fix outside of running the python script?

I used that same fix, but have been able to connect a monitor using a Thunderbolt-to-HDMI adapter on one of the TB ports on my 2014 rMBP. (I use a second monitor via the rMBP's HDMI port.)

The other day I re-enabled the thunderboltNHI.kext, but my rMBP has been connected to dual monitors in my home office until this afternoon and so I didn't have any random shutdowns.

I re-enabled the thunderboltNHI.kext, because I wanted to test this little emulator device which I bought for about $8: https://www.amazon.com/Headless-Display-Emulator-Headless-1920x1080-Generation/dp/B06XT1Z9TF. It's supposed to fool the computer to think it's connected to an external display, when inserted in the HDMI port.

This afternoon, I disconnected the monitors and used the rMBP without them. And before long, it did freeze up and shut down - randomly, as before.

I plugged in the emulator, restarted the rMBP, but I think because of the way I'd set my display preferences for the two external monitors the display wasn't the main screen I needed. So I unplugged the gadget, which restored my main screen display, and quickly went to System Preferences > Display, then plugged in the emulator while that preferences window was open. Yep, it showed me the "arrangement" preference pane, where I could drag the top toolbar to the built-in display. That gave me the display I need on the MBP's screen. I've had the emulator gadget plugged in for a couple of hours now, have been using the rMBP, and it hasn't shut down on me.

My conclusion: the emulator seems to work to prevent the random shutdowns, but you may have to fiddle with the display preferences to be sure your MBP's screen is displaying what you need it to, especially if you've had it connected to one or more external monitors.

EDITED to add: I posted that^^^ last night. Left the rMBP plugged in and charging (but not connected to a monitor) overnight, with the emulator in the HDMI port. This morning the rMBP woke from sleep just fine and hasn't shut down on me as I'm using it. That's several hours now without a random shutdown, using the emulator. Well worth the eight bucks, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrRavenswood

MrRavenswood

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2018
Hey Everyone! Ive got it too!
Macbook 15'' Mid 2015, happened, after a week came back, then happen again, and I managed to get in and put the Python inside the macbook.
Working :) But Fans are really loud, I told them to shssssss but the havent listen. Ill try that fansmc ap.

Has anyone been able to get apple to pay up,
Has anyone tried really hard, like being a real persistent angry (but not aggressive) customer?

Thanks Everyone.

Suzatlarge

macrumors member
May 4, 2008
Colorado
I used that same fix, but have been able to connect a monitor using a Thunderbolt-to-HDMI adapter on one of the TB ports on my 2014 rMBP. (I use a second monitor via the rMBP's HDMI port.)

The other day I re-enabled the thunderboltNHI.kext, but my rMBP has been connected to dual monitors in my home office until this afternoon and so I didn't have any random shutdowns.

I re-enabled the thunderboltNHI.kext, because I wanted to test this little emulator device which I bought for about $8: https://www.amazon.com/Headless-Display-Emulator-Headless-1920x1080-Generation/dp/B06XT1Z9TF. It's supposed to fool the computer to think it's connected to an external display, when inserted in the HDMI port.

Update two days later. That emulator fix mostly works, but my rMBP has shut down twice with the emulator in place. Once it shut down overnight, I assume after going to sleep. I had to power it back on yesterday morning. Then, this morning I was using it, left it for awhile and when I came back it wasn't asleep, it had shut down.

So my verdict is that the HDMI emulator I bought is better than nothing, but I'm probably going to once again disable that .kext. Even with it disabled, I was able to use a Thunderbolt-to-HDMI adapter to connect a monitor. I'd rather not deal with random shutdowns, even if they are much less frequent with the emulator, as without it.

bivalvegruff

macrumors member
May 22, 2018
Sweden
Update two days later. That emulator fix mostly works, but my rMBP has shut down twice with the emulator in place. Once it shut down overnight, I assume after going to sleep. I had to power it back on yesterday morning. Then, this morning I was using it, left it for awhile and when I came back it wasn't asleep, it had shut down.

So my verdict is that the HDMI emulator I bought is better than nothing, but I'm probably going to once again disable that .kext. Even with it disabled, I was able to use a Thunderbolt-to-HDMI adapter to connect a monitor. I'd rather not deal with random shutdowns, even if they are much less frequent with the emulator, as without it.
I'm still waiting for my emulator that I ordered, but this is my experience with the MacBook plugged in to a monitor via Thunderbolt/HDMI – the shutdowns are more rare, and with many of them it, it isn't a complete shutdown, but going to sleep and being a bit slow to wake up, with connected accessories disconnected. Other times, it's a complete shut down, where I have to enter the disk password and boot completely from scratch. I have the .kext disabled, fans on maximum, and am plugged in to monitor.

I've been considering buying a used 2015 Pro, but it seems to be happening to that model as well. And I really don't want to switch to a Windows laptop...

maciek1422

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2017
Why Apple don't do something with this. Maybe we should find more people with this problem (maybe by reddit?) and try to get to apple, they should fix our Macs :/
You're lucky if your Mac is working correct without this Kex, it's not working for my, so only solution for my Mac is python script.

I post a thread on apple support communities, please leave comments there :)
https://discussions.apple.com/message/33488727#33488727

Last edited:

mrcsnzt

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2018
I had the same problem on my mid 2014 MBP. Just applied the fix and it seems to work, but it hasn't been long since it was done. To sum it up for people who encounter the same problem, this trick worked for me.

How to fix?

1) reboot with CMD+R pressed.

2) open Terminal

3) sudo csrutil disable

4) reboot in normal mode

5) sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK

6) reboot with CMD+R pressed

7) csrutil enable

8) reboot and forget about problem

If you encountered a prompt which says command not found when you try csrutil disable in recovery mode, it might be because it your OS version is outdated. Reformatting it brings the OS back to Mavericks but I think it requires your OS Yosemite to work. I encountered that same problem, and upgrading it to yosemite worked for me. For people who aren't familiar with Terminal, like me, the command at 5) requires you to use spaces in between, meaning
"sudo mv...kext /system/library...BAK".

Reinstalling OS: Also, I had trouble reinstalling the OS because it kept crashing, and the solution for me was to connect to an external display while downloading the OS from the app store. In order to reinstall an OS from a previous/earlier version, go to the Purchased tab in the app store. However, the caveat is that earlier OS would only be available if you have downloaded/installed them in the past.

bivalvegruff

macrumors member
May 22, 2018
Sweden
I tried the app EtreCheck, and I ran it now that the MacBook shut down on me while the python script was running and an external screen emulator was plugged in. Charger was not connected. EtreCheck says my machine shut down abnormally, with the reason "0 – Power loss". As I wrote earlier, I had my battery switched to one that I'm not sure is an original about a year ago. Though, at least without the python script and the emulator, the Mac would shut down even when connected to a charger. Not sure what to make of this. Maybe it can be used as a stationary computer, always plugged in to AC and connected to an external monitor or the emulator, with the python script running...

MrRavenswood

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2018
Hey Everyone, so my MacBook Pro 15” Mid 2015 1.6years old was doing these random shutdowns, and I took it into the shop, guys did there thing and it turned out it jut needed a good dusting , OMG it was full of it. I keep it well looked after and it’s quite young so I asked how it got so full, he said this particular model is so thin and without good airflow it does get dusty. He gave it every software & hardware check. So yeah it’s been working perfect for 3 weeks now. Unbelievable I know , but if you can, pop the hood and blast it with some air. Maybe that will be your fix.

esoter1c

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2012
Was having this same issue and deleting/renaming AppleThunderboltNHI.kext file was working fine for a few weeks with osx 10.13.5
Earlier tonight I updated to 10.13.6 and within 30 mins I was getting shutdowns just like before. The only problem is AppleThunderboltNHI.kext is not replaced, but still named AppleThunderboltNHI.kext.BAK

Anyone else havee this problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.