Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dfcas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
I have a database program on a .tar file and the database in a seperate file. The server it was on crashed, and I'd like to store/access it directly on my MAC.

Can someone suggest where I can go for help to install/access it? I need it dumbed way down as I am not so computer literate.

Thanks,dan

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Without having any clue as to what database you have, all I can do is offer help extracting the tar file.

Open Terminal, and do a:

tar xvf <name_of_file>.tar

to extract it.

I believe StuffIt Expander may do this for you as well.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have a database program on a .tar file and the database in a seperate file. The server it was on crashed, and I'd like to store/access it directly on my MAC.

Can someone suggest where I can go for help to install/access it? I need it dumbed way down as I am not so computer literate.

Thanks,dan

You will have to extract the program from the tar file and tell us what you find. If the .tar file did not come from another Mac it is very unlikely the program will run on a Mac however you may be able to get a Mac version of the program. Let us know what you find inside the .tar file. Also you may be able to convert the data, maybe. But it seems odd that the data should be in just one file. Typically it is inside a collection of files. I'd expect that maybe the data files are what's inside the .tar file No one here have help you until you unpack the .tar file and say what's in there.

dfcas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
I was able to open the .tar file. It contains the codes or instructions. The data that goes in it is in a different file.

I think I need a suggestion for a pro consultant that can sort this out and hold my hand through this.

Thanks, dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.