Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

restless~native

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Salt Lake City
I seem to get a drop in my wireless connection occasionally - 2 or 3 X daily. I noticed that each time this happens, a network (picture attached) is always listed - but the problem is, the network, circled in red, belongs to a cafe where I used their internet connection months ago, and it's located at least 10 miles from my home.....should I be nervous? I've tried deleting it, but it keeps coming back...is someone there connected to my computer? How do I get rid of it permanently?

3020680899_6306617ccb.jpg

Namnorkimo

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2008
Please do not worry about that. In this list you see all wireless internet access points in your neighbourhood. I do not know why the cafe is shown so far away too, but it is only something YOU would be able to connect to. They don´t connect to YOU, especially if your wireless lan uses the secure WPA2 preshared key encryption.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
the coffee break network probably has a very large antenna to boost out the signal, i wouldnt worry about it.

if your computer keeps connecting to it then maybe you should try make your home network the default, that way it will connect to the home network instead of the coffee place.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Sorry for butting in, but it appears your home network has your router name (ie it's factory setting). It made me wonder if you had changed your router login and password settings (different from network settings)

If you havn't PLEASE make sure you change these and use security (eg WPA2) on your network!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.